Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: " Sight Fising "  (Read 5347 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
" Sight Fising "
« on: October 12, 2022, 06:06:20 PM »

i was at the Vedder on the straight run just below Allison Pools and watched a group of guys catch some coho in a way I had not seen before. When I asked about the technique they explained that they were sight fishing . The technique used a bare hook and some weights above the short leader and they held their casts until they spotted a fish. They then  made a short cast and attempted to guide the bare hook into the fish's mouth and set the hook. Is that snagging or is it considered ethical  ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Re: " Sight Fising "
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 06:09:08 PM »

That should be Fishing not Fising. BTW, I am not trying to stir the pot. I was just asking for your opinion.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 06:11:39 PM »

Snagging

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 06:32:40 PM »

i was at the Vedder on the straight run just below Allison Pools and watched a group of guys catch some coho in a way I had not seen before. When I asked about the technique they explained that they were sight fishing . The technique used a bare hook and some weights above the short leader and they held their casts until they spotted a fish. They then  made a short cast and attempted to guide the bare hook into the fish's mouth and set the hook. Is that snagging or is it considered ethical  ?
step down from flossing  :P
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 06:38:41 PM »

Also known as “short line flossing”.

It takes skill, and I appreciate the effort to not snag the fish in the body, but it’s  not fishing. Just like going to a U Pick apple orchard isn’t considered farming.

Chum Slayer

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 07:32:10 PM »

Saw this near banter last weekend... all the fish are stacked at the moment even if your short floating you will floss fish. When the water is this low it isn't fair chase.

sumasriver

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 09:26:50 PM »

Sight snagging

Hopefully they are fined and have their car / fishing equipment seized.

Phronesis

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 09:46:24 PM »

Sight snagging

Hopefully they are fined and have their car / fishing equipment seized.

Why so extreme? its not even illegal to floss - plus with low water most of the fish are potentially flossed......

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 10:04:19 PM »

It's a first world problem. Only the complacent know the answer.

Just like going to a U Pick apple orchard isn’t considered farming.

You pick apples? Where? does the orchard owner realize he isn't farming?

Still looking for a u-pick winery! I guess it ruins it all now since I don't grow the grapes!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:07:33 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 10:40:29 AM »

what if a fish goes to strike your lure but misses and it snags the outside of the maxilla.

is it still snagging or do we need to take into considerations the fishes willingness to bite the lure.

;D

or what if you using two hooks like in the ocean and one is in the mouth and the other is snagged to the outside of the fish?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 10:47:34 AM »

what if a fish goes to strike your lure but misses and it snags the outside of the maxilla.

is it still snagging or do we need to take into considerations the fishes willingness to bite the lure.

;D

or what if you using two hooks like in the ocean and one is in the mouth and the other is snagged to the outside of the fish?

A post catch interview is clearly overdue.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 10:48:17 AM »

;D

why then you must go to bed without any supper!

FWIW what the OP alleges these guys were doing is fishing by any common dictionary definition of the word.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 10:54:24 AM »

A post catch interview is clearly overdue.

lol if i could i would give thumbs up and a like, that was funny as hell

BMo86

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 12:02:56 PM »

It's SNAGGING period no ifs and or buts. They are using bare hook and trying to set it in the fish's mouth. How many times do they SNAG a fish in the belly or tail. 1/20 in the mouth is irrelevant.

roeman

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 01:22:00 PM »

;D

Why don't you go fish below the boundary again and ask the CO your question.  Post a pic of the ticket and the reply .....
Are you fishin or catchin