Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monster Spring!  (Read 6440 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Monster Spring!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 08:38:39 AM »

Best I know large fish can be safely measured and photographed in a good sizes fish cradle. Another option might be one of those Boca grips used with tarpon etc though my understanding is salmon and trout don't take well to e vertical lift however it is done. The main point is there are better ways to handle fish that should increase their survival odds.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 02:43:26 PM »

Realistically measuring a 100lb+ salmon in the ocean while learning over a rocking boat is pretty impossible. I've tried measuring trout in a net, pike in a cradle, already find those challenging and frustrating so most of the time I don't even bother anymore. In a saltwater boat there's a million things going on when you get a good fish on, it's just chaotic and I don't see the point of measuring. They're just numbers, who cares if they are 50 or 100lb, they're all big fish.

santefe

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 04:40:25 PM »

All fish are 'nice'. Just that some are nicer than others.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 07:54:55 PM »

after landing a few thirtys i could only imagine having a tangle with that fish. i have fished rivers a few times and for people that dont know its more like fishing an inlet like indian arm. no downriggers are aloud and if recall you can only use a certain size weight. cut plug herring is the bait of choice trolled really snow. super cool area to experience. feels more like your fishing a lake than the ocean.

its easy to say what he could have done better but in the moment stuff happens. if some are to over concern about fish survival stop fishing. fishing by nature affects fish survival odds. there isnt one member here that hasn't had a "i probably have could have done that better" moment, let alone with a 100lb chinook.

i bet the fraser and the columbia use to have some of these monsters. awesome to know a few those size fish are still out there. nice catch.

GordJ

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 08:02:52 PM »

after landing a few thirtys i could only imagine having a tangle with that fish. i have fished rivers a few times and for people that dont know its more like fishing an inlet like indian arm. no downriggers are aloud and if recall you can only use a certain size weight. cut plug herring is the bait of choice trolled really snow. super cool area to experience. feels more like your fishing a lake than the ocean.

Perhaps you’ve mistaken Campbell River Tyee Pool and Rivers Inlet?

GordJ

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2021, 08:03:04 PM »

Duncanby lodge has been very successful with their measure and release program. I don’t remember the numbers but because those fish are going to one hatchery they have been able to do egg takes from a high number of fish that have been caught and measured before reaching the river. These aren’t snowflakes, they’re wild predators that are within 10 km’s of the river. I can guarantee that this fish is a lot more likely to contribute to the gene pool than if it was bonked. I see this as a feel good story and catch and release needs to be promoted more at the lodges.

canucksfan233

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 09:02:10 PM »

its easy to say what he could have done better but in the moment stuff happens. if some are to over concern about fish survival stop fishing. fishing by nature affects fish survival odds. there isnt one member here that hasn't had a "i probably have could have done that better" moment, let alone with a 100lb chinook.

i bet the fraser and the columbia use to have some of these monsters. awesome to know a few those size fish are still out there. nice catch.

A lot of these big monster fish are the spring Fraser run fish which we can't fish for anymore if I'm not mistaken.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2021, 09:11:50 PM »

Perhaps you’ve mistaken Campbell River Tyee Pool and Rivers Inlet?

No I am sure there was a weight restriction of 6ozs. Not sure if it's still the case. Maybe I'm wrong.

All Species: Jun 1-Sept 15: Rivers Inlet Special Management Zone – in those waters of Rivers Inlet inside a line between fishing boundary signs located at Rutherford Point and McAllister Point: no person shall angle with a fishing line or downrigger line which is attached to a weight that is greater than 168 grams (6 ounces) or an attracting device that is not affixed directly to a hook.

GordJ

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2021, 09:31:22 PM »

Thanks, I didn’t realize that. I’ve fished farther down the inlet but I never got down that far. Thanks for straightening me out.

redside1

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2021, 04:07:01 PM »

A lot of these big monster fish are the spring Fraser run fish which we can't fish for anymore if I'm not mistaken.

which fish? the ones in River Inlet?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2021, 12:24:49 PM »

I have never heard of this before. AFAIK the Fraser was never known for producing big chinook (ie 50lb+) let alone the spring run fish which I think are mostly under 30. some large fish have been caught - biggest I even heard of was about 70lbs, best the Fraser isn't the equal to Rivers inlet or the Skeena in terms of really large springs. Maybe someone knows more about this than i do.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2021, 03:13:04 PM »

I have never heard of this before. AFAIK the Fraser was never known for producing big chinook (ie 50lb+) let alone the spring run fish which I think are mostly under 30. some large fish have been caught - biggest I even heard of was about 70lbs, best the Fraser isn't the equal to Rivers inlet or the Skeena in terms of really large springs. Maybe someone knows more about this than i do.
I'm agreeing with RalphH on this.  I have seen a lot of chinooks caught by nearly all methods on the Fraser and have seen a lot of chinooks spawning in its upper tributaries, a big fish would push 30-35 lbs.  The Harrison however used to have hogs that might have hit 70.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2021, 05:40:39 PM »

One of the Fraser test fishers I believe caught a 52 pounder this year in the fall

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2021, 09:04:52 PM »

With how large the fraser watershed is I find it hard to believe their were not large chinook at one time. Between the Harrison and the Thompson tributaries one of them must of house some large chinook. The watershed that houses Wannock chinook doesn't seem very big on Google earth. The difference is the Wannock estuary and tributaries have virtually been untouched where the fraser has been abused since the industrial revolution or for at least the last century.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2021, 08:06:25 AM »

With how large the fraser watershed is I find it hard to believe their were not large chinook at one time. Between the Harrison and the Thompson tributaries one of them must of house some large chinook. The watershed that houses Wannock chinook doesn't seem very big on Google earth. The difference is the Wannock estuary and tributaries have virtually been untouched where the fraser has been abused since the industrial revolution or for at least the last century.

as far as i know the fraser has never been known for big fish. The columbia river has also been well abused but there is documented huge ones for that river.

Port alberni, campbell river and cowichan chinook were where people were going for big chinook in the early 1900s in BC.