Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monster Spring!  (Read 6444 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Monster Spring!
« on: December 04, 2021, 12:21:22 PM »

Snagly

Re: Monster Spring!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 01:52:28 AM »

Nice story. I wasn't thrilled to see the fingers inside the gill cover, however.
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

avid angler

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 05:17:18 AM »

Yeah, honestly pretty disappointing how much lower the fish handling standards are on ocean caught Chinook. Many photos on social media there pulled into the boat in a knotted net then allowed to bounce around on the deck of a boat before being posed with and released. If it was a wild steelhead everyone would be losing their minds.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 08:23:18 AM »

well it could have been far worse! there is still too much pawing of fish for ego shots and despite best evidence many just laugh it off saying the fish are far tougher than fisheries scientist give them credit. I've seen some pretty bad examples from photos on guide boats on the Fraser and Harrison for a variety of species including IFS.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

4x4

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 08:46:10 AM »

Nice story. I wasn't thrilled to see the fingers inside the gill cover, however.

Agree.
Once the gills are touched Salmon get a bacteria that kills them. I've seen people way to many times do the same with Sturgeon.

Don't touch the gills people.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 02:30:03 PM »

Can we please have a post and just enjoy it for once without all the BS commentary...

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 04:06:58 PM »

That would be nice

Snagly

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 04:39:49 PM »

Can we please have a post and just enjoy it for once without all the BS commentary...

You posted the link to a laudatory YouTube slideshow. It's not the fault of FWR viewers who relied on your judgment if the content didn't meet with board standards (as demonstrated by the comments). The irony is rich: a "catch and release" story when the released fish may not survive to make it to the redds because of angler malpractice. Pointing out that you shouldn't put your fingers inside the gill covers of fish you intend to release isn't "BS commentary."

We expect better of you, Nog.
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 04:47:08 PM »

Sorry if my comments spoiled the story and I apologize if they did. No one is perfect and in the same position as Gayle and her husband I can't imagine how excited I'd be. I have a had a few unintended c&r disasters myself - not that this is one. Hard to say from the photos how big that fish was but I take the measurements for what they are and great that BC has yet again produced a world record class chinook. AFAIK The last was a 99 lb fish from the Skeena not too many years back that was both measured, weighed and photographed. There was also a 120+ fish taken by a commercial boat off Egg Island in past decades. Nog, what was the biggest you ever had on your boat?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 09:58:03 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 06:18:39 PM »

Just seems nothing can be posted here without being met with negativity.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 06:35:02 PM »

Just seems nothing can be posted here without being met with negativity.

lol really..? I just skim through the first twenty threads in the general discussion and couldn't seem to find anything negative, or maybe I'm just not sensitive enough. ;D

Everyone's going to have an opinion, people bound to disagree with one another at some point. As long as it is done respectfully, say whatever you wish.

While we're on the topic of saltwater chinook salmon C&R survival, I'll reshare this presentation Steve Johnston did earlier this year. The information is very interesting for anyone who hasn't seen it. The third year of the study was just completed since the presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nThmHxQkaE

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 06:47:16 PM »

While we're on the topic of saltwater chinook salmon C&R survival, I'll reshare this presentation Steve Johnston did earlier this year. The information is very interesting for anyone who hasn't seen it. The third year of the study was just completed since the presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nThmHxQkaE

thanks I was thinking of that. As recall the survival rate was around 80% over the length of the test... I have to watch it again... and I think that was losses due to all causes. One article I looked at today said there has never been a scientific study that focused on mortality that focused on angler contact with gills alone or even the classic gill lift. Needless to say we all recognize that fish gills are a soft and vulnerable spot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 09:19:21 PM by RalphH »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 08:33:55 PM »

You’re absolutely right Rod everyone is entitled to their opinion and I expressed mine respectfully. I saw a fish of a lifetime story picked apart by fish handling comments instead of a simple “awesome, way to go”
You saw it differently. Takes all kinds of opinions to make the world go round. Merry Christmas.

avid angler

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 11:52:50 PM »

You’re absolutely right Rod everyone is entitled to their opinion and I expressed mine respectfully. I saw a fish of a lifetime story picked apart by fish handling comments instead of a simple “awesome, way to go”
You saw it differently. Takes all kinds of opinions to make the world go round. Merry Christmas.

Honestly not everyone thinks that hauling a 100 pound Chinook on board by its head just to take measurements deserves an “awesome way to go” Much safer ways to handle a fish that’s genetically 1 in a million. Nobodies picture, or measurements are more important then the well being of a fish that’s intended on being released. Especially when there’s much more fish friendly ways to capture the moment. That’s my opinion.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 08:15:41 AM »

I’m guessing that excitement probably got the better of the anglers in that video.