Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerbeaks  (Read 6659 times)

Snagly

Re: Centerbeaks
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2021, 03:10:28 AM »

I've never fished the Vedder and avoid combat fishing situations, so the following comment may be really off base. I realize these are hatchery coho and, by definition, they are there to be harvested but if there are more fisherman than fish-producing spots and you've already filled your freezer, I'd think you'd either take your foot off the gas by fishing more remote spots (fewer fish perhaps, but better quality angling experience: no centerbeaks) or perhaps reducing your expected take each time out to minimize the potential irritation brought on by crowding.

You are clearly a top gun who has landed a lot of coho in your time, so leaving a few in the river for the other guys is also an option, isn't it?
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

roeman

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2021, 03:01:23 PM »

I've never fished the Vedder and avoid combat fishing situations, so the following comment may be really off base. I realize these are hatchery coho and, by definition, they are there to be harvested but if there are more fisherman than fish-producing spots and you've already filled your freezer, I'd think you'd either take your foot off the gas by fishing more remote spots (fewer fish perhaps, but better quality angling experience: no centerbeaks) or perhaps reducing your expected take each time out to minimize the potential irritation brought on by crowding.

You are clearly a top gun who has landed a lot of coho in your time, so leaving a few in the river for the other guys is also an option, isn't it?

Exactly... Try a new place or a new way to catch them.  Why go to the same spot day after day, bragging how many fish are in the freezer.  Figure out something different and when the fish are a little harder to catch you will have more tools and locations to fish.
Are you fishin or catchin

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2021, 08:58:30 PM »

Good suggestion, but for many anglers, it's all about numbers and statistics. Success is measured by the number of hookups and fish landed.
The higher the numbers, the better.
For others, it's nothing but a meat fishery.
We may not like such approach, but hey, if it turns their crank, who are we to judge?

bunnta

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2021, 12:16:37 PM »

Exactly... Try a new place or a new way to catch them.  Why go to the same spot day after day, bragging how many fish are in the freezer.  Figure out something different and when the fish are a little harder to catch you will have more tools and locations to fish.

This was a topic my friends and i discussed. Basically we hit the same spot almost for a whole week. Briefly there was a question that popped up that why I wasn't bored of hitting the same spot every morning. 1. I didn't have to deal with the crazy gong show and it was nicely contained by our group. We all had the right spacing which nice. 2. The cohos we're cooperating, we had several different ways to catch them when option A window was gone. 3. You just don't get these kind of fishing days anymore, best to make the best of the moment. I sure as hell don't want to join the gong and have few fish to play with, squeezing in scenario and people ruining your drifts. I have gotten to the run first before to only have my rod and bag sitting on my marked spot mean nothing when it is time to step into water.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2021, 02:31:28 PM »

I thought the approved anti-Centerbeak technique was to arrive early, get pole position and break out the 15 foot spay road, with 45 foot long scandi head .....