Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poacher Alert!  (Read 9594 times)

Old Blue

Re: Poacher Alert!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 09:23:30 AM »

the FO was unprofessional and lost his composure. Notice at 37 seconds he reaches for his belt with his right hand? They are armed. That's very disturbing. Makes no sense for him to reach for pepper spray as the FN man is running, out of range nor is he an immediate threat. The 2nd FO stayed right out of the confrontation as if he was trying to avoid the cluster F*.

In the video there is little or no immediate connection between the net and the 2 FN men. Can't see any poached fish. All it leaves us with are assumptions.

Come on man.  Look at yourself in the mirror, then slap some sense into yourself.

stsfisher

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

the FO was unprofessional and lost his composure. Notice at 37 seconds he reaches for his belt with his right hand? They are armed. That's very disturbing. Makes no sense for him to reach for pepper spray as the FN man is running, out of range nor is he an immediate threat. The 2nd FO stayed right out of the confrontation as if he was trying to avoid the cluster F*.

In the video there is little or no immediate connection between the net and the 2 FN men. Can't see any poached fish. All it leaves us with are assumptions.

What?
 How is it you can judge what the Officer is going through? This video does little to show what the situation was or where it could have headed.
As you put it, there are many assumptions  with this video, none of which we need to critique. The officers where "upholding the fisheries act" they where met with hostile, verbal abuse by a couple of individuals who may or may not have been involved. They took, what they felt was appropriate action at the time. The officer did not use a firearm, nor is it clear if he is even carrying a firearm.

I will assume we now little about the actual situation, but I do thank those officers for doing their job!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 10:49:53 AM »

Look it up, Fisheries Officers carry firearms and pepper spray when acting in an enforcement role. Not too many years a go I was in a restaurant in Steveston when a trio of FOs came in for lunch. They were all wearing sidearms. FWIW I saw a CBSA officer wearing a handgun while waiting for a latte at the a local Starbucks. They are (supposedly) professionals. There is a standard of conduct for all them. If you consider acting as what was captured as professional well it's a sad day.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sage2106

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 10:58:16 AM »

Clearly Ralph you have never seen the dfo officers have firearms pointed at them or seen them get spit on by these fn warriors. Or heard the threats uttered tk them on a daily basis on the river. Ive been on the river many times and had the fn point rifles at us nothing happens to them nobody wants to deal with it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »

My take away from the video is not that they are poaching, witch they are. Or the harm that this does to the resource.

It’s the simple fact that the rules simply do not apply to them. It is obviously taught behaviour by elders and chiefs in their band.

There is a reason why interior and costal fisht nations do not like the stolo.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »

I know that Fishery Officer; he is a calm and intelligent man, and that's why he is in charge of that stretch of the Fraser River. As others have mentioned, we don't know the circumstances but I am siding with the FO.
What a thankless job these guys have, enforcing oftentimes ridiculous regulations. Don't blame the FO's, blame their masters.

tuna

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »

listen to the conversation its sounds like fn was turning towards the fo  when he reached for his belt it was then that fn ran, pay attention too details i too have had encounters with fn and as a civilian i do not back down ever any violence thrown my way will be met with equal retaliatory violence that is my right to defend myself fn or not ,period . The job the fo has is very demanding and stressful and i can tell you it takes a very patient and balanced individual to do it weather dealing with fn or joe public . As for the net they were removing it from river who's it is is not in question ,the reaction by this fn individual is .

stsfisher

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »

Was this a Department of Fisheries Officer or Provincial Conservation Officer?

I was of the understanding that DFO, or FO's carry firearms at all times but PCO's or CO's do not carry?
Regardless it changes nothing.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »

Was this a Department of Fisheries Officer or Provincial Conservation Officer?

I was of the understanding that DFO, or FO's carry firearms at all times but PCO's or CO's do not carry?
Regardless it changes nothing.
This was a Fishery Officer and Conservation Officers do carry sidearms. Agree, a moot point.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »

My take away from the video is not that they are poaching, witch they are. Or the harm that this does to the resource.

It’s the simple fact that the rules simply do not apply to them. It is obviously taught behaviour by elders and chiefs in their band.

There is a reason why interior and costal fisht nations do not like the stolo.

Basically I think you were just trying to whip the post into an argument. I don't even know what the OP intended with this post.

There certainly were issues with the STO LO in the past. From being up there I know it is far better than it was 10 or more years ago.

The FO involved says clearly the FN who ran was reaching for a 'blade'. Immediately prior to that FN said he wanted his back pack. Like guns carried by Peace Officers are strapped into the holder and it is unlikely it could have been easily removed.

Whatever caused it the FO lost his composure.  He made no attempt to die-escalate the situation. His partner seemed less than perturbed. Hard to figure out what happened from half a minute of cellphone video.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:06:38 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

poper

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »

It’s seems they were fishing when maybe they shouldn’t be Ralph? You don’t think so?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2018, 02:05:51 PM »

It seems that the camera didn't show what the other fn who supposedly was running away from the FO was doing at the time the FO was putting his arm to the side. Perhaps that fn was reaching for the back pack or walking back towards the FO with hostile attitude. FO has to protect himself too. He is obligated to his family to stay safe on the job too besides the rules. If he suspects that the bag may contain fire arm, he has the right to be the first to fire if a gun is drawn from the bag and point at him, kind of like Client Eastwood movie, lol. Those hostile language used by fn towards the two FOs didn't help to defuse the tensed situation.

These FN folks think they can do anything above the laws of the land in Canada in their 'private' property. Really? Can the average joe Canadian do that in their own private home or land? Not really. The Fraser is public domain and the FO has every right to seize nets during period of closure. If some doubt FN could have done those dumping of fish by seine nets not following the DFO protocol of releashing other fish unharmed, just listen to these fn people saying that they can do whatever in their 'private' land and what laws. If that is their attitude, what hope is there they will comply with any fishery regulations?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »

Three years ago 2 friends and myself were fly fishing on the Sloquet. We bushwacked down the river to the Lilloet. In the Bush were 4 FN warriors. The even identified themselves as such. Two of the four pointed rifles at us and told us to leave because we were on their "Sacred fishing grounds". We were very polite and reminded them that this was NOT FN reserve land and anyone can fish here. They kept saying it was their sacred land reserve or not. He claimed from the Harrison lake to Pemberton was FN land and we were to leave. One of the guys opened a shot in the air. I have fished that area for years and ran into FN people and never had an issue.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 02:16:29 PM »

Basically I think you were just trying to whip the post into an argument. I don't even know what the OP intended with this post.

There certainly were issues with the STO LO in the past. From being up there I know it is far better than it was 10 or more years ago.

The FO involved says clearly the FN who ran was reaching for a 'blade'. Immediately prior to that FN said he wanted his back pack. Like guns carried by Peace Officers are strapped into the holder and it is unlikely it could have been easily removed.

Whatever caused it the FO lost his composure.  He made no attempt to die-escalate the situation. His partner seemed less than perturbed. Hard to figure out what happened from half a minute of cellphone video.

They clearly state in the video that the fisheries act does not apply to them and it’s their land. That’s their believes and they will continue fishing where and when they feel like it.

Nothing to argue about that’s their believes as stated in the video

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2018, 02:17:26 PM »

Isn't that illegal for them to point a gun and fire a shot in a threatening manner in public land? FNs are getting bolder to challenge the laws of the land because our government are too scared to enforce laws when it comes to them. White guilt has caused so much concessions in the court to the FN. Now they feel they own everything and do anything, lawful or not. It is like parenthood when a child becomes rebellious knowing parents care too much and won't punish him/her for bad behavour from young, and then this is the consequence of someone treating Canadian laws like dirts.