Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing downstream of another angler  (Read 9059 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing downstream of another angler
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »

If there is someone above me (in the same 'run'), I will always ask if it is OK for me to step in below them, particularly if they are fly fishing and fishing down the run.  In the more popular spots, where there is already more than one angler, and it is obvious that people are fence posting (Judd road), then I may not depending on the degree of separation, such as being well outside of their swing.  Even in this circumstance, I will usually throw out a do you mind.. as a courtesy ..to the upstream and/or downstream person.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 05:04:41 PM »

Of course every river and situation will have varying degrees of acceptable spacing. IMHO if you've come to an amicable agreement with those above and below you, then it's all good. The rantings of some sourpuss across the river need not be considered.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 07:02:50 PM »

I always just judged the spacing of others and walked in. You're there for the same reason they are. Having said that, it always depends on the size of the hole/run. sometimes nothing is needed to be said - other times its best to try make small chat as ask if there's room for one more. Then I time my cast not to interfere with the other drifters. I never liked stepping between fishermen - I find it awkward.

What I used to do if the guy walked in low enough initially but then proceeds to crab walk up uncomfortably close to me, I simply made it look like I was adjusting my float and would take a step or two back, then I would start short casting but drift long so that the retrieve comes real close to his waders. Most get the hint without having to say a word.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 12:55:26 AM »

IMO, bad etiquettes, are cursing at other people whether you think they do something wrong or not. There's no need for that kind of attitude on the river. Everyone's out to enjoy the day, have fun and learn.

Hopefully my post didn't come across as sounding like the guy yelling across the bank was justified in my mind as I didn't really address that in my post.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 07:27:05 AM »

The guy cursing is across the river. Most rivers are wide enough that there is no implied spacing between fishers on either bank.
The Cheak is narrow enough in many places that the OP actually low-holed the guy.
In winter this would be a fightin' offence.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 08:02:34 AM »

IMO, bad etiquettes, are cursing at other people whether you think they do something wrong or not. There's no need for that kind of attitude on the river. Everyone's out to enjoy the day, have fun and learn.

My thoughts exactly!  There's no excuse for being an "idiot" right off the bat.  When someone does something that interferes with my fishing (either moving in too close or casting over my line) I will always say "excuse me" and politely tell them what the problem is and if they would mind making some adjustment.  Mind you, I did this on the Chilliwack this year when a guy came in after me and started short casting above my line to get to where the fish were.  He replied "Don't talk to me - you ruin my day!".  LOL.  I guess he didn't like me hooking coho so much.  I didn't bother telling him he had no hope of hooking a coho based on his hook size, leader and presentation.

Sometimes I see guys fly fishing ask for unreasonable room.  Yes - fly fishing requires more space.  But it can generally work with more than one person per run!  I should know, as I used to only exclusively fly fish.  Just take a look at the Squamish during pink season.

Anyway, from what you described I don't see any problem with what you did.

John Revolver

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 10:28:06 AM »

In this case you were ok. You sound like a reasonable fellow. He was playing mr. local high and mighty. Territorial, like a local surfer

On factory waters like chehalis/vedder/capilano during the salmon runS IF there is a decent amount of space between myself and an upstream angler I will just drop in and give a head nod , a wave , some sort of acknowledgement to gauge the situation.

During Steelhead season on ANY water I will always always always ALWAYS start at the top of the run and rotate in. Everyone should do this. If  the run is busy , or the head of the run is occupied, I will sit and wait my turn.   If I drop in , even at the tail out with one other person at the top , I will ask and MAKE SURE the angler ahead of me is ok with this.

Early October I was up in Skeena country spey fishing in the kalum and copper systems. GOD *&%ING  help you if you drop in on someone anywhere in a run up there without having a conversation and asking first ahaha.   It's like the locals who fish the Thompson. Things can get heated very, very fast.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:29:46 AM by John Revolver »

bobby b

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 11:55:59 AM »

During Steelhead season on ANY water I will always always always ALWAYS start at the top of the run and rotate in. Everyone should do this. If  the run is busy , or the head of the run is occupied, I will sit and wait my turn.   If I drop in , even at the tail out with one other person at the top , I will ask and MAKE SURE the angler ahead of me is ok with this.

Well said
This is how I approach just about every run.

Just recently I was at the Ranger run, when I got there the run was essentially 'full'.... I went to the top of the run.... I waited about 20-30 mins, had a drink and a bite... Then the guy below me gestured to me that he was done and I could take his spot....

At that spot I did well.... Took home a nice Spring and a Coho ... Also landed a big wild Coho.

Patience paid off .... When I moved down there was someone else waiting for me to vacate my spot too!!

However on busy weekends ... all bets are off and people do just squeeze in.... If they squeeze in too close to me I will say something, I don't rant and swear, can usually get it sorted out...

243Pete

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 07:11:55 AM »

Well said
This is how I approach just about every run.

Just recently I was at the Ranger run, when I got there the run was essentially 'full'.... I went to the top of the run.... I waited about 20-30 mins, had a drink and a bite... Then the guy below me gestured to me that he was done and I could take his spot....

At that spot I did well.... Took home a nice Spring and a Coho ... Also landed a big wild Coho.

Patience paid off .... When I moved down there was someone else waiting for me to vacate my spot too!!

However on busy weekends ... all bets are off and people do just squeeze in.... If they squeeze in too close to me I will say something, I don't rant and swear, can usually get it sorted out...

Hahaha! most likely everyone who gotten the prime areas are just rip/ tearing or as I watched one guy, he only had his set-up adjusted to 3 feet when the area he was fishing was probably about 6-8 feet deep.

Ugghh... weekend fishing, I avoid it as much as I can. I had one guy on Thanksgiving day trying to cast to the other side of the river, kept pelting me with chunks and bits of roe... I just kept my calm and ignored it, probably could have scrounged up some of those bits and used them myself.  ;D
Most people generally will listen and wait, talking calmly is the best thing to do and not getting so aggrivated helps. It's about relaxing and enjoying your time on the water, not looking for a boxing match or verbal assault.  :o

96XJ

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »

So what is the etiquette when you hook a fish and have to move downstream to land it , are you still " entitled " to your original spot ?

bobby b

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 11:33:39 AM »

Damn straight you are

96XJ

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »

Ya I knew that , just irks me when I come back to my original spot and guy beside is suddenly a lot closer than before,  hate having to say something to guys for them to move

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »

A true sign of a beak. They think just cause you caught a fish standing on that rock that it has magical fish attracting powers and must stand on said Rock aswell.

Tylsie

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 12:27:25 PM »

Intetesting. I grew up being taught if you catch a fish you go back to the head of the pool. That what I always read to, but that was steelheading.

What I have always wondered, if you get to a spot at the same time as another what is the etiquette.  An example, a few seasons ago me and a person were getting ready at the same time, he was a few seconds ahead on the trail. In this spot there 3 distinct pools close together. Each clearly distinct with shallow riffles in between but all with in say 100 yards of river. He goes to the top of the first pool, am i low-holing him if I go to the top of the third pool leaving the middle one between us?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 12:56:04 PM »

Intetesting. I grew up being taught if you catch a fish you go back to the head of the pool. That what I always read to, but that was steelheading.

What I have always wondered, if you get to a spot at the same time as another what is the etiquette.  An example, a few seasons ago me and a person were getting ready at the same time, he was a few seconds ahead on the trail. In this spot there 3 distinct pools close together. Each clearly distinct with shallow riffles in between but all with in say 100 yards of river. He goes to the top of the first pool, am i low-holing him if I go to the top of the third pool leaving the middle one between us?

Correct. Steelheading is a whole different ball game. I should have been more clear.  In the salmon meat holes it's a steady conveyor belt of fish so fence posting is the norm if you're in a prime spot.