Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: inflatable boat  (Read 15411 times)

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: inflatable boat
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 06:21:49 AM »

I would say craigslist. I got a 5 person avon for 350$.  It's in great shape came with everything needed. 

There are quite a few on good ol craigslist. people buy it, use it twice and sell it for half.
and then go there with cash and start negotiating.

Listen to this guy. Buy used Achilles or Avon made of hyppalon. For safety and comfort. Surely Craig list is your friend in this regards.  Aquamarine is PVC made and not sturdy. I have seen them punctured easily on the rocky shores and transom rotted to nothing just in a 5-7 years of average use.  I track used inflatables market and there is plenty of choices out there for a good hyppalon made boats.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »

It could be a long wait for a Hypalon boat under $200.
I used to own this boat (bought at Costco) and it worked very well. The material was quite rugged for a low cost boat (better than many high priced PVC boats).
http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/home/boats/pro-series/laminate-boats/68377e.html

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »

http://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/3622685799.html
 There are deal to be had if you are looking for one.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »

http://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/3622685799.html
 There are deal to be had if you are looking for one.
Strange. Aquamarine doesn't have any boats listed at $280 MSRP. I have no idea what boat this is.
The Aquamarine 10' inflatable floor boat lists for $850 so it would be a screaming deal.

jacklam999

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »

I used to own this boat (bought at Costco) and it worked very well. The material was quite rugged for a low cost boat (better than many high priced PVC boats).
http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/home/boats/pro-series/laminate-boats/68377e.html
.        I was thinking of this boat too but I live in Vancouver Bc and found many place and they dun hv it ,I tried to find it online but the shipping fee is costing more then the boat itself ,u know where can I get it in vancouver Bc?

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »

I have a 9' ridgid hull zodiac i'll sell ya for $500 ?? no leaks with oars and pump
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:12:44 PM by dan »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »

A lot of inflatable choices thus a person has to do many hours of studying before buying.
PVC or hypalon ? $200 to "whatever".
Rib hull ( alum or fibreglass )
Experts say that 303 Protectant is a good product for all inflatables. ( buy at auto stores )

Some brands are Saturn, Marlon, Polaris, Caribe,Avon,AB,Brig,Highfield,Seamax,Maxxon,Titan,Achilles,Sea Bright,Grand (deep V) Quicksilver,Bombard,Walker Bay,Cholamark,Salter,Mercury,Sea Eagle,Sevylor,Westcan,Zodiac,Rubber Duck,Duras,Max on & on...plus the "whatever" number made in China...

AB,Achilles,Highfield,Walker Bay,Polaris,Zodiac,Avon, ( even Sea Bright has a 8ft 6 in Orca Hypalon for $1599.) & others have caught my attention.
Some set ups look like fun boats with a 15 HP ,steering wheel rib hull...
Check out their FAQ if ya go to the brand site.
Good info in the " answers".
Went to the 2013 Vancouver International Boat Show in part to view the Arima & C Dory boats.
The boat show website mentioned the two boats but the dealers did not bring them to BC Place.

Website should be improved as if they mention Arima & C Dory then the boats should be there !!!
The 16 ft C Dory is a "neat boat" as it has a HT. but would not like to be in too rough water with it via hull design.
Regardless, really enjoyed looking at the many set ups, models, & brands of inflatables at the show.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:17:37 PM by A-BOATER »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »

I used to own it too. In fact, I still have one in the old country.
It makes a nice summer beach boat. Definitely not a year-round fishing vessel.
Not even close to commercial grade PVC.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »

Are you kidding me? 200-300 bucks for a new inflatable boat?
Like, a real inflatable boat with a floor, seats, transom and oars?
Only unsafe and disposable junk can be had at that price point. You don't even want to go there, trust me. Spend at least twice that much and get yourself something worthwhile that will last you many years and keep you safe on the water.

Many of us have bought Aquamarine boats and we couldn't be happier.

They are located in Richmond, so you can pick the boat up yourself and avoid shipping expenses. Customer service is top-notch and the quality of the boats - especially the new generation - is excellent.

Call them and ask for Michael. He's an awesome guy and more than willing to accommodate new customers.
I agree, good points, safety is of the utmost importance...

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »

Inflatables are inherently massively safer than tin boats since you can't flip them, you can't fall and hit your head on the gunwale and knock yourself out, and they really can't be swamped.
I have limped to shore when one of the major chambers blew out on a rubber dinghy - my ankles didn't even get wet. All inflatable boats have multiple chambers and I've never heard of multiple chambers failing simultaneously.
As long as you're not running rivers or tackling large stillwaters like Sheridan (true of any small boat) pretty much any inflatable will be perfectly safe. The difference between these cheap boats and a low cost PVC boat like Aquamarine is really just abrasion resistance. You must get wet to launch a cheap boat and it can never touch the shore with weight in it.
Keep a patching kit on hand and don't do anything stupid (i.e. don't smoke in an inflatable) and you'll be fine.

jacklam999

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »

do u need a lience for a inflatable boat?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »

If you use a motor you need an Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
If the motor is 10hp or higher you need to licence your boat.

jacklam999

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 02:03:31 AM »

how u get the pleasure craft operator card? thank you

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 02:05:14 AM »