Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stave river  (Read 7283 times)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
stave river
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »

i am going out on friday and i was wondering whats in the system and what works to catch them. thanks in advance
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: stave river
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »

A few weeks ago I caught some cutties on the Stave just fishing a wooly bugger under a strike indicator. (...they were very small though :()

I don't know if this is significant but I seemed to get more hits if the fly had red in it.  (In my case I was using a black wooly bugger with a red head on it).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:41:10 PM by fishseeker »

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »

if you go on a hot summer day, chances of catching a blond or even a red head can happen with the right presentation. i have caught some nice trout fishing early in the morning  near the dam. threw every spinner and spoon i had with nothing to show. went to the gas station and got some worms, success shortly after,let me say its like cheating. i have to say that is one of my favorite systems and take time to go explore and  you wont be disappointed. tak eit easy and tight lines
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

fishiotherapist

• Haneyphysiotherapyclinic
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »

I was there briefly by the dam Monday evening and was using a clear intermediate line. I casted towards where some fish were splashing and I managed to beached a pike minnow (was using pumpkinhead). Planning to go back after work today and will hit several spots with my wader on.

Cheers.

Gilbert

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »

Try early mornings and evenings at dusk. You will find small to medium sized fish in the riffels, working Caddis drys. Larger fish working Nymphs (golden stone is my favorite) in the slots where two riffels meet.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

marbles

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 06:23:32 PM »

are the no parking signs still up around the stave??If so is there an laternative araea to park??

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »

No parking signs on the west side of the river are there to stay. The alternative would be to park in the BC Hydro recreational site on the east side.

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:26:01 PM »

well that will keep the tow trucks busy come Chum season.
I'll have to go introduce myself to some of the locals....
 ::)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »

well that will keep the tow trucks busy come Chum season.
I'll have to go introduce myself to some of the locals....
 ::)
Its going to be interesting fishing the Stave in the Chum season now that the west side is closed to all parking.   There is a heck of a lot of pressure on the River as it is - I guess there will be a lot more people cramming onto the East side of the river from this point on :(

...Its too bad but I guess the number of people parking on the West side was causing a lot of agro for the locals.

tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »

Can you lauch a baot at the Bc hydro res site? then maybe you could get on one of the islands away from the gong show?

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »

Can you lauch a baot at the Bc hydro res site? then maybe you could get on one of the islands away from the gong show?

I've only ever seen the gate unlocked when the Hydro or hatch guys are there.  Last year there were alot of canoes, yaks, cantire inflatables and pontoons used to get across.  You just have to watch out for the jet boats flying through.  Someone should setup a fishermans shuttle from a large parking lot to and from the west side.  Revolving shuttles ever 15 minutes...   anyone?  :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »

You might see some enterprising landowners renting out their parking space for $$$$

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »

You might see some enterprising landowners renting out their parking space for $$$$

I'll bet it's the same landowners who called the City of Mission to complain about the parking.  Watch for new parking lots built on their front yard  ;D

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:12:38 PM »

I'll bet it's the same landowners who called the City of Mission to complain about the parking.  Watch for new parking lots built on their front yard  ;D
Now that would be a laugh :) I just wish complaining landowners weren't given so much power sometimes - this is not the first place I have seen made inaccessible because landowners don't like cars parked in common ground outside of their domain.

I guess it doesn't help when people behave badly by making a lot of noise or leaving litter lying around all over the place.  Its too bad really because that was one of my favorite areas and boats are not an option for me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:15:12 PM by fishseeker »

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »

You may see little old ladies with signs saying parking $20 ,just like good old days during PNE time .