Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Camera May Have To Close  (Read 13189 times)

riverbetty

• Betty & Wayne Riverbend Guest House
    • Riverbend Guest House B&B
Re: Chilliwack River Camera May Have To Close
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 01:11:57 AM »

Die hard, I am amazed at how negative, and unmoving you are on this.  The river and nature is everyone's to enjoy and this is a public area after all - there is no ownership here!  I was there when the camera was installed and believe the comment that was made was that no one would be deliberately caught on camera, or zoomed in on, when on their own private property without their permission. I live right by the camera and simply asked them not to zoom in on me; and they have respected that! But many have agreed, or requested actually, to be filmed and others were in a public place.

The purpose was to film nature, Eagles, animals, the river rafters etc. It was not there to film people or the fishermen, per se, but the kids from various places around the world started asking about the fish and fishing here out of interest. (Schools use this Kids In The Nest site as it is VERY educational). And some fishermen and residents were more than happy, even excited, to go on camera for these kids!

Have you been to the Kids In The Nest Website and seen all the information there from experts??  Maybe you should check it out before commenting so negatively?  It is, indeed, a VERY Educational site and quite amazing; featuring David Szuiki, Dr. Jane Goodall, and many more highly educated EXPERTS in various fields of environmental issues affecting our planet!

I am not part of the Kids In The Nest Society, but I did start the e-mail, which Chris Gadsen posted, stating we should help them!  They would never ask for help themselves but fact is it is EXPENSIVE and these people operating the cameras, and putting out a lot of the funding, do live on pension and have made educating the current and next generation how to appreciate, respect, and protect/maintain our natural resources their "retirement project".  

I am convinced that these people have really been more than generous with their time, talents and resources and MONEY; and we all have a responsibility to the coming generations to appreciate and protect our natural resources.  We should all help with that, not criticize those taking the time and energy to do it!  

Besides, if I, or anyone else, really wanted to we could actually go to the river and film whatever and post it on U-Tube - and some people do!  But these people are careful what they post on U-Tube and what/who they zoom in on.  And it is, after all, only one very small section of a very large river system and if you are at the spot the camera is quite visible so look at the surroundings and if you see similar surrounds, or the camera, when fishing and if so simply pick another spot - do not be so "selfish" with the river and the natural resources - there are more than enough other spots you can go to fish!  Surely we can share this one small bit of the river with kids world wide - they deserve it and the people who put out time, money and energy to do this deserve our support!  If you do not want to support it fine - but do not harass or criticize those of us who see it as a very worthwhile project.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 01:21:30 AM »

riverbetty, don't be too bothered by one person's vocal opposition. It's just another day on the internet discussion forums, you can't please them all.

I recommend that you all agree on disagreeing and sway the discussion back to the original topic, which was to help the camera. Two items that should be discussed further: How the camera can be saved financially and what improvements can be made on the operation of the camera.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:31:06 AM by Rodney »

riverbetty

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 09:47:50 AM »

Right Rodney.  Let's not get distracted. I have nothing to do with the Society itself or operation of the Camera so that is something you would have to e-mail KITNES on.  My understanding is they are paying about $300.00 a month out of pocket for the operation of the river cam alone and currently there is no funding for that.  They have applied for a grant but it can take up to six months to come in.  So guess, in the meantime, they need to raise about $1,800.00 for expenses. 

I think they could do pay per click ads IF they had about $6,000.00 to start up; but I am not sure how it works.  I do believe money raised from the pay per click ads that could go back into that community for projects that could keep things flowing properly on the river (if you will pardon the pun).  That would benefit the fishermen; and the community at large. As you well know this is slide and flood area and things need to be done on the river that there just seems to be no funding for.

OR KITNES corporate sponsors also seem to do humanitarian projects like helping the kids in Africa, so maybe if they had pay per click ads the money would go to something like wells in an area that has no water at all.  Ask them as this is my understanding, but 2nd hand information.  I just think anything we can do to help the river, or others who need it more than we do and educate the current and next generation on proper maintenance and preservation of natural resources is more than worthwhile. Thank You for posting this and getting the word out there. 

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »

I think Die hard is just being practical in his views. Asking for donations is never easy but do not be surprised if the amounts are small and in between. After Christmas a lot of folks don't have much extra cash to donate, and with this recession we are in they may be worried just how long they can hold on to their job. With the amount of homeless people in the Chilliwack area, and the recent flooding that has occurred from my perspective there are plenty of  problems to take care of in our own backyard.
However, with that being said, if you can get provincial funding grants, to cover your costs more power to you. After all the province seems to be able to find cash to cover the cost overruns of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

riverbetty

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »

Right.  We are not asking for the big $$$ here. ::) Just enough to keep it up and running until the grant comes through; as you say we are in a recession...even more reason $300.00 put on one couple for the next six months is just not doable!  But if 100 people could donate just $20.00 it would be covered!  Honestly, most of us spend that much on less worthwhile things; even in a recession. That is less than the cost of dinner out for two; lunch money for a couple of days, your coffee or beer money for the week or whatever. Not a really big sacrifice for such a good cause.
Have you seen this site?  It is really a very educational tool for people of all ages to learn how to properly manage our natural resources and appreciate all the beautiful things we have in nature - the fish included.   

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »

The purpose was to film nature, Eagles, animals, the river rafters etc. It was not there to film people or the fishermen, per se, but the kids from various places around the world started asking about the fish and fishing here out of interest.

>:( Had it follow me everywhere the other day. Want to know about fishing? Maybe suggest a site more oriented towards fishing?

Out of curiosity how does this camera help the slide situations, river, properly manage our resources, or the fish?

Hey ghost fish,when did you become the canada most wanted ;D

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 04:51:45 PM »

If you dont like it dont fish where the camera is. How hard is that? Its a HUGE river. Do you use ATM's? Do you walk into stores? Your always on camera so who cares.........If you look at it the quality is not even that great. Unless you really know the person you could never tell who someone is.

Video from ATM's, stores etc... are not usually broadcast to the public unless it is used to try and catch a criminal.  So I think that it is kinda irrelevant to the issue.  Just my thought.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »

If you dont like it dont fish where the camera is. How hard is that? Its a HUGE river. Do you use ATM's? Do you walk into stores? Your always on camera so who cares.........If you look at it the quality is not even that great. Unless you really know the person you could never tell who someone is.

Video from ATM's, stores etc... are not usually broadcast to the public unless it is used to try and catch a criminal.  So I think that it is kinda irrelevant to the issue.  Just my thought.

Sorry but your wrong

Their are many TV shows that show people on camera who didnt know they were on camera. Ever watch the News? On the news its not always to try and catch a criminal either. Than their are reality shows that show people on camera all the time. Check out shows on Spike TV. They do shows with people on public cameras. Worlds Most Amazing Videos, Disorderly Conduct just to name a couple.

I dont want to hijack this thread so I wont say anymore on the above comments.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:51:29 PM by bbronswyk2000 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »

I had a long conversation with the woman who runs this camera and I suggest anyone that has a problem with it gets in touch with her, I am a little shocked with a couple of the comments on this thread.... but I guess it is to be expected. As Jetboat said this camera was originally set up to show children in Africa what four seasons look like !! some of these children have never seen mountains, rivers, fishermen , fishing rods etc.... for them to see snow, eagles fish and even once in a while a fish being caught is amazing !!! instead of getting angry and complaining about your privacy why not speak with the operator and find someway of showing them you wish not to be filmed , for example if you are fishing whithin site of the camera and you do not want to be filmed give her a thumbs down.... if you don't mind and want to provide someone a little entertainment give her a thumbs up !!

Of course like usual there will always be pros and cons, I think in this case the pros definately out weigh the cons !!

we are talking about a very smalll section of a very large river ...

go to        www.kidsinthenest.com       and let them know what you think, if you like the website and think like myself that they are providing a great service then sign up!!

like I said before this is a great website the lady who runs it is fantastic !!!! I only wish I had heard about it sooner

cheers TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 03:52:48 PM »

The camera is not located in a very popular stretch of the river where there are allot of anglers . Unless it can zoom in on the people way up river a 1/4 mile fishing below the clay banks  ??? . Personally , I haven't seen any one fishing that stretch of river  and I have been there quite often .  I can't understand what the fuss is all about . Peace  ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

sp-angler

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 02:44:07 AM »

The camera is not located in a very popular stretch of the river where there are allot of anglers . Unless it can zoom in on the people way up river a 1/4 mile fishing below the clay banks  ??? . Personally , I haven't seen any one fishing that stretch of river  and I have been there quite often .  I can't understand what the fuss is all about . Peace  ;D

Sorry I had to weigh in on this as well... long time lurker first time poster. I totally agree with these sentitments... who fishes in that spot right there truthfully? Move away if you don't like it... I for one absolutely love the idea and support it totally.

By the way... kind of neat to see the mention of this site right on the www.kidsinthenest.com main page...maybe bring some new blood to these boards.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 07:48:04 AM »

In case some of missed the topic a the very top of the board, this year's Trophy Hunter Steelhead Derby will be donating its proceeds to support Kids on the Nest so the cam's future would not be jeopardized. :) Make sure you come out and participate at this fun event on February 15th. More information at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19548.0

ColinB

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:01 AM »

Great idea for the kids!!

Anyone going to contribute?

As for the invasion of privacy, if it's on the public land there should be no problem!

ion

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 01:54:10 PM »

The point is it's ilegal!
On a private property you have to write somewhere that pictures are taken; now on a public property
everybody of us should agree on this; And we don't.Just like with the cameras on roads that were shut down.
Probably somebody with his picture taken will sue sooner or later.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 07:43:35 AM »

The point is it's ilegal!
On a private property you have to write somewhere that pictures are taken; now on a public property
everybody of us should agree on this; And we don't.Just like with the cameras on roads that were shut down.
Probably somebody with his picture taken will sue sooner or later.

LOL

The camera is legal. I asked a lawyer.