Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seven months for ramming DFO boat  (Read 10428 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Seven months for ramming DFO boat
« on: March 29, 2006, 11:52:05 AM »

Seven months for ramming DFO boat

By Mike Chouinard

A man charged in connection with ramming a federal fisheries boat last summer was sentenced in provincial court after pleading guilty Friday to various charges.

Ian Travis Douglas, 30, received a total of seven months conditional sentence from Judge John Lenaghan.

Last summer, Douglas was involved with a couple of confrontations with fisheries officers near the Cheam reserve. On Aug. 8, he was on a boat near the Agassiz-Rosedale bridge when he and a man in another boat were approached by fisheries officers in a boat. Fisheries officers spotted the two boats after they appeared to be fishing illegally with a drift net.

"The boats approached the DFO boat and started to circle it," Crown counsel Andrea Ormiston said.

The driver of another boat, who is also facing charges, then cut in between the DFO boat and a black boat, which Douglas was driving. Soon after, Douglas rammed the DFO boat's stern, missing several officers by estimates of about one metre or less. While Douglas was

charged with several offences, Ormiston said the charge for the dangerous operation of a water vessel was the most serious, as it jeopardized the safety of the fishing officers.

"This was an intentional ramming of the boat," she said.

Douglas was also charged after a confrontation with police officers at the Cheam reserve 10 days after the ramming incident. Police were attempting to arrest another man subject to warrant. The man called for help and Douglas intervened.

"Mr. Douglas was verbally instructed to stop by both of the officers....Mr. Douglas physically resisted arrest."

He spat in the face of one of the officers, who also sustained a wrist injury in the altercation.

As well as the Criminal Code charges, Douglas was facing charges from a number of Federal Fisheries Act violations dating back to 2003. Crown counsel Finn Jensen outlined a number of cases where Douglas was fishing without a licence, during closures or with a drift nets at a time when they were not permitted.

Both Ormiston and Jensen were looking for jail time, but Douglas' lawyer Thomas Hara hoped his client would be given credit for time-served.

Douglas's mother, who spoke prior to sentencing, and Hara said much of his conduct was fuelled by drug use, a habit that started when he was 20. When arrested last August, he was found carrying 0.7 grams of crystal meth. Since he has been in custody, he has kicked the habit, has been accepted by a day program and put on 60 pounds since his arrest.

"He's extremely sorry about this and he hopes to turn his life around."

As a mitigating circumstance, Hara cited a 2002 protocol between the federal fisheries department and the Cheam that set out a practice whereby officers would keep their distance if they witnessed violations on the river. "Somehow that protocol has now been abandoned," he said.

The judge did acknowledge the longstanding dispute over rights to the river and the Cheam band's relationship with the federal government. However, he did not buy the aboriginal rights argument as a defence for all of Douglas' actions.

"These charges are a constant catalogue of flouting of the law," Lenaghan said.

Citing Douglas' efforts to stay off of drugs since his incarceration, the judge opted for a conditional sentence, which includes curfews and provisions for Douglas to stay away from alcohol and narcotics. Counselling is also a likely condition.

The sentence includes concurrent sentences totalling four months for the Criminal Code charges and three months additional time for the fisheries violations to be served consecutive to the four months. The sentence also includes a probation term of one year.

Crown counsel Jensen agreed a total ban on Douglas' aboriginal right to fish would be going to far, but Lenaghan agreed to his request that Douglas follow licensing regulations for fishing as part of his conditional sentence. "He has an aboriginal right to fish," Jensen said.

Another suspect in the Aug. 8 ramming incident, Melvin Mussell, has a court date on April 3. The suspect in the Aug. 18 confrontation at the Cheam reserve, Phillip Cooper, also has a court date that day.

published on 03/28/2006

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/issues06/035106/news/035106nn1.html

Ribwart

Re: Seven months for ramming DFO boat
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:20:13 PM »

Well, I'm guessing he won't be attacking fisheries officers anymore....not really becuase of the sentence as much as he probably didn't have fun being locked up coming off the drugs, and won't remember the whole experience fondly....tough about the meth bit, hard to know what a man's really made of when they're high and sleepless for long periods of time. Hopefully he will stay clean and makes good on his goal to turn his life around...maybe he'll start by working with FN conservation??? I guess I'm a bit cynical, and I don't want to seem negative, but I'll wait and see if this whole process doesn't just repeat itself again, before i get hopefull that something trully effective has been achieved here....

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:30:09 PM »

I'm cynical as well.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:01:05 PM »

Perfect!  With good behavior he'll be out in time for the Sockeye fishery  >:(  Call me a cinic, but he should lose his right to fish as well.  Unfortunately, the sentence is not bad.  I would have expected less.

Nostro

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 01:07:05 PM »

"He's extremely sorry about this and he hopes to turn his life around."

I hope that this isn't just useless rhetoric either. I sincerely wish him the best of luck in his life.
Never look a fish in the eye.

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 06:24:39 PM »

"They wonder why people become prejudiced.

Our own government breeds it."

I'm not a member at the other bc site. But it seems to be a spreading of the bitching going on.

Who is the government made up of?

When is the judicial system ever fair? You act like they killed a man or something. Well believe me the judicial system is blind, hence 'blind justice' supposidly to be unbias. They give a murdering drunk white priest 2 years less a day after he killed my brother 2days after getting his license back from a 6 months suspension. That's supposed to be justice.

Who makes up the justice system? 

And what did the DFO officer get back in 1999 after ramming a first nation boat when the altercations first really started heating up? He got F-all

Who makes up the majority of DFO officers?

Sportfishing is just that a sport - do you act this way with other sports?

People here seem to forget. BC signed no treaties with its first nations. Each nation is soverign unto its own. You can't just come here and expect roses when there's still alot of shyt to be cleaned up. You think you're the only ones unhappy with the governement? Think again. The only reason you have the right to speak so freely is because the first nation people didn't fight harder to start. They welcomed newcomes with open arms. This was less than 130 years ago.

And I try to sit back and not feel anything for or against this matter but people with so much freedom keep wanting more and more from those who've already given up everything just to suit the new people. Yes I'm native but I'm also white and right now I feel absolutely disgusted with the lack of humanity observed on these obviously non native websites.
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 06:45:14 PM »

The only reason you have the right to speak so freely is because the first nation people didn't fight harder to start. They welcomed newcomes with open arms. This was less than 130 years ago.

And I try to sit back and not feel anything for or against this matter but people with so much freedom keep wanting more and more from those who've already given up everything just to suit the new people. Yes I'm native but I'm also white and right now I feel absolutely disgusted with the lack of humanity observed on these obviously non native websites.
  Well, I have been one to speak my mind whether it was right or not at times in the past.  Lately, I have just sat back and not really gotten into it much with anyone.  BUT, saying things such as this IS NOT helping anyone.  My eyes almost cane out of my head when reading this.  What the hell did you expect him to get, a slap an the friggin wrist.  There are so many that get away with blue murder, and this guy gets a seven month conditional sentence.  He was a Drug addict at the time, had absolutely No respect for authority, and endangered everyone around him.  That was only one incident, he also had a history of many more infractions.  I don't care if he was native or not, that kind of shyt can not be tolerated. 
  Also, I don't know, was it just me or did what you said come off as prejudice???  I will not get any further into that, as that kind of crap has no place on this or any other "non-native" site. I will also not get into my feelings on the subject of whether or not what he got was fair, why?  Because it doesn't matter what I feel on it, nor does it matter how you feel about it.  He got what he got.
  I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in the other thread, you didn't have to tell me or anyone else that you were native.  It didn't matter.  The point is, you sounded like you were trying to help.  Now with those comments you have lost all credibility with me.  If you don't like the " non-native" site, well then don't let the door hit you on the way out!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Ribwart

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 06:47:01 PM »

I'm sorry Prettyfly, I don't quite get where you're coming from here...it's obvious you are somewhat upset at this post but I don't really see your point? Don't take this the wrong way, but I think this is a clear cut situation where a gentleman has plead guilty, expressed remorse for his actions and now is looking to move on with his life....I don't hear anyone here saying he should be hung, or shot or anything remotely inhumane....all I read here are posts expressing cautious optimism, some skepticism and even some well wishers....It would seem these are all logical and predictable responses to the article, this is not an issue of race or creed, but rather an issue of human nature...I think it's quite normal to fear that once someone has committed a crime, or suffered from drug addiction that they might regress over time and re-offend...
I think the courts have given him the opportunity to turn things around without being too severe. I guess there are a lot of other issues surrounding First nations, the subject of fishing, and human rights and respect and what not, but I don't see that as an excuse to turn everyday straight forward situations like commiting a crime into some kind of race/prejudice/epic confrontation of some sort....he commited a crime, was punished and that's that, why make it into some inflamed issue? what did you want the courts to do here? Through him a few points of a bag, and send him on his way?
c'mon man, give your head a shake!!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 06:58:15 PM by Ribwart »

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 07:10:38 PM »

Its kind of difficult to be predjudice when my mother is native and my father is french canadian. I sit on a fence trying to decide who is right and who is wrong and I cannot come to a clear decision because there are so many people who do wrong on both sides.

You think your words carry no harm here but they do. This is not a private forum it is a public forum free for all to see, and how you choose your words speaks volumes to the type of person you are.
Do your words speak true to who you really are?

I've been reading the archives and reading whats now being said. It is so startling. I am scared for the future. I've shared it with my relative who is a social worker, who's mother is a lawyer. Her eyes almost popped out of her head from the threads I've shown her. She couldn't believe the amount of racism that was posted here.

I know what happened back in 99. It was not a pretty site. I would think most people might think it to be war like. It was scary. But first nation people believe they have a duty to protect the rights of their childrens future.

I don't believe our rights are in place to protect someones blatant ignorance, which is why I've been sharing the information with my relative. We've been speaking about who is right and who is wrong. The bottom line factor here is First nation people have an inherent right. That has already been established long before anyone else got here.

And perhaps how you read the words and how I read the words are different Ribwart. I read sincere sarcasm and sadly sincere racism. And I believe it's only because this is still a fresh thread that the jabs and racial remarks havent been added. All you have to do is read through the archives to get a clear indication of what the mind set is here. Yes, maybe it is out of anger but if people want to be angry at something they should be angry at their government because it is their nation that is creating prejudice between nations.

That is what has me upset. The judicial system and this countries government is anything but fair.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:12:37 PM by Prettyfly »
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 07:23:32 PM »

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in the other thread, you didn't have to tell me or anyone else that you were native.  It didn't matter.  The point is, you sounded like you were trying to help.  Now with those comments you have lost all credibility with me.  If you don't like the " non-native" site, well then don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

You know you have absolutely no clue how much help I actually am. I am forced to see things through opposing eyes. I am forced to weigh the differences. All too often people dont. They only think of how it affects them as an individual or as a group. I am forced to try and understand both views.

It must be so easy for someone who doesn't have both races running through their veins. You only have to think what you and others like you think.

First Nation people don't have a right to be ignorant any more so than anyone else. With regards to the judicial system, if people are going to be able to drive after killing a 17  year old kid... be happy that this person got anything at all.

At least this native expressed remorse - my family didn't get anything from the drunk priest.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:28:19 PM by Prettyfly »

Ribwart

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 07:41:08 PM »

I'm getting the feeling you might be "projecting" feelings of anger and/or resentment towards current events because of wrongs that were enacted upon you in the past, and although I sympathize with the pain your brother's death must have caused you and your family, I do not think its healthy to let past grievances influence your judgement to the point, where you see current and future events as a continuation of the injustices of the past, as it seems has occured here...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:43:07 PM by Ribwart »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 07:43:44 PM »

It must be so easy for someone who doesn't have both races running through their veins. You only have to think what you and others like you think.
Ok so, I have made 2 posts maybe 3 in regards to your comments, some of which, that have been rather aggressiveon your part, and you think you know me!!! 
I will no longer post anything on this thread, as I have said what I wanted to say and it would be an utter waste of time!!! :)

Self edited, as upon thinking about it, that was a bit harsh.  Sorry to those who read the previous deleted statement.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:57:23 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 08:41:03 PM »

I'm getting the feeling you might be "projecting" feelings of anger and/or resentment towards current events because of wrongs that were enacted upon you in the past, and although I sympathize with the pain your brother's death must have caused you and your family, I do not think its healthy to let past grievances influence your judgement to the point, where you see current and future events as a continuation of the injustices of the past, as it seems has occured here...

But isn't that what this is really about? Non natives seem to think that very sentiment with regards to inherent rights. Unhealthy? Tell that to the Mothers Against Drunk Driving group or any other organization that acts on the injustices of the past. but you did mention that you sympathized, because it IS something that might happen to you or someone you know (I wouldn't wish it on anyone) So for some reason you feel compelled to feel sympathy for this injustice against mine but not the injustices against my people. Why not?

Regardless, perhaps it is a totally different but parallel subject. The fact of the matter is the judicial and government systems are not fair in anyones favour. The only way that is going to change is by the people making changes. Native people are always going to fight for their rights. Sport fishermen are always going to fight to protect their preferred way of life.

If you are fighting the system and I am fighting the system - why do we have to do it while fighting each other?

Big Steel - in a round about way, you suggested you had enough information to know me. I haven't posted as much as you. I don't know you in person, just what I've read from you. Not to say what I've read from you is entirely negative, just that there's more of you to read here than me.

I'm not here to cause fights or always be opposing but I do have a voice from 'the other side' and it is going to be opposing to some, insightful to others.

You might not read hate propaganda when you're reading what some write but there are people who will. I have been quite tolerant because I need to be. I'm trying very hard to understand how the sportfishermen feel, I have to - it is the livelihood of someone very close to me. I want nothing more than to see peace between the two because that will bring peace in my heart.

It means so much more to me than just a hobby, a love of fishing. It means peace between that which makes me whole and because my future will be affected by it in more ways than one.

"Those who do not learn from the past are destined to repeat it"
"The past is our key to the future."

quotes to ponder

« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:42:53 PM by Prettyfly »

Ribwart

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 12:04:38 AM »

I don't quite get it Prettyfly, let's read again what you wrote:
Non natives seem to think that very sentiment with regards to inherent rights. Unhealthy? Tell that to the Mothers Against Drunk Driving group or any other organization that acts on the injustices of the past. but you did mention that you sympathized, because it IS something that might happen to you or someone you know (I wouldn't wish it on anyone) So for some reason you feel compelled to feel sympathy for this injustice against mine but not the injustices against my people. Why not?

Listen, and listen carefully... It's unhealthy because here you are acknowledging that I have sympathy for the fact you lost your brother, but ASSUMING I don't have any sympathy for any injustices against your people!!!!! That is what's wrong here, you are letting past grievances cloud your judgement of other peoples perspectives....what we are talking about is a convicted drug addict attacking fisheries officers and spitting on police officers, and then, admitting his guilt, and YOU ARE TRYING TO DIMINISH THIS OFFENCE TO SOME CONSPIRACY on behalf of the government to continue some secret battle between the peoples!!!! Smarten up! You trully are showing how narrow and SINGLE MINDED your previous experiences have made you...I too lost someone very dear to me to a drunk driver!!! Yet I am not blaming or absolving this Cheam band member of guilt because I lost someone to a drunk driver ... so stop playing the fool, I don't feel compelled to feel sympathy for anyone, I feel sympathy for you because I know what it is like to lose someone you love because some idiot was drunk one night and decided to drive, that does not mean I should blame every person who does something wrong from now on for what happened 10 years ago!!!
C'mon, what's wrong with you? What in the world does some drunk priest have to do with some drugged up fisherman?
So you say....
If you are fighting the system and I am fighting the system - why do we have to do it while fighting each other?
but what you don't realize is I am NOT fighting the system, I am simply voicing my concern at someone getting away with a crime, he should have been convicted for fishing illegally as well!!!!! Now it sends a message to others who resent the legislation on fisheries, that they too can fish, spit, get high and then walk away with a slap on the wrist.... I am simply trying to point out to you that you cannot link these things together, otherwise every little thing becomes some injustice or wrongdoing that went unpunished....suddenly every incident becomes some heroic confirmation of some void or battle between the cultures, it's just not right. Everybody knows what it is like to suffer an injustice, everyone gets the short end of the stick sometime....just like you did when that priest got away with his crime, just like I did when the idiot kiilled my fiance, so stop kidding yourself, because it's obvious to everyone else here that you are harbouring some issues here, this cheam member/meth addict/self admitted guilty party is not some poster child for the differences between sportfishermen and first nations, he's not some justification for the eternal punishment of priests because one chose to drink and drive, nor should you use the misunderstandings surrounding the fisheries debate as a venue to pursue your own personal vendetta's....your issues and the ones being debated over fishing rights are two entirely different things, period. Stop using this forum to justify you anger, your anger is already justified....just not in the way you think. it's justified in the humanity and compassion people feel for your loss, but it's equally unjustified when you apply your angst to unrelated events that have nothing to do with your loss....
Think about it prettyfly, consider how you might be biased and then re-read the last ten posts you've put up....there's a lot of anger there, but not a lot of reason....

So when you say: "Those who do not learn from the past are destined to repeat it" and "The past is our key to the future.", you should be applying these concepts to your own obvious prejudices, because if you do not recognize your mistake here, then you are doomed to continue this excercise in futility....just like if we let this guy off with no punishment, then he is "destined to repeat his actions" and we will be continously re-living the issues of the past, instead of moving forward towards a solution, and the future....

and so, I too am sick of arguing a mute point and am resigning myself from this post, because frankly I feel it's embarassing that I even let myself be dragged into this idiotic discussion...but my compassion for the obvious problems you are going thorugh, sucked me in, and with that I hope that if you have anything more to say that It doesn't exhibit the same jaded and bitter stance your previous comments did...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 12:31:35 AM by Ribwart »

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 12:22:06 AM »

Crime. That's the connection

You know Ribwart it doesn't matter. It seems to get lost in the translation. People will read whatever they want to read into words. The effort of understanding one another is lost on discussion boards. People are always going to read something of a serious nature with an undertone.

There were no undertones in my words. I have to live with both worlds right now through the choice my heart has made (aka love) so I have to stick it out. I never said I didn't think he should have gotten what he had. I think he should have gotten more than that as well. I said the justice system isn't fair.

I'm sorry for your loss, you're right the way it was written it seemed I assumed you hadn't had to deal with that. That was not my intention. I get passionate about things, and in my explanations I get emotional. I do that - I'm a woman, call me crazy. I try to get people to see what I mean through example. That's all it was - an example of a like (lack of) consequence to a crime that is considered serious.

And you're right, he's not a representation of the population but he is the poster child for some to use against inherent rights.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 12:38:46 AM by Prettyfly »