Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anything catchable in the harrison river? where?  (Read 2210 times)

littlerope

anything catchable in the harrison river? where?
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »

fished spoons by the railway bridge for about 3 hrs today, not even a nibble on my blue fox. lots of chum surfacing and a couple seals but no luck. any suggestions for this river? thanks.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
Re: anything catchable in the harrison river? where?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »

Fished there myself today for 30 mins and had a 57in sturgeon. I know it doesn't help but........ you did ask.

Hook-NM

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »

I was out Sunday with a buddy and caught lots of chum. They were mostly dirty dogs but we managed to land two bright does. We threw everything at them, spoons, spinners, row, wool and Jensen eggs.The guiding boats were getting lots of males on black & pink jigs.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »

Jigs are the ticket according to The Master.

littlerope

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:14 PM »

hey thanks for the replies. i'm a newbie on the rivers, just took up fly fishing this year and have had some success catching rainbows & cutties in the local lakes but so far i'm batting zero  on the stave & the harrison with both fly & spinning rod. actually i did have something big on the spinning rod last weekend at the stave but a couple of  headshakes and he threw the hook. ah well, i think the learning curve will be steep but any info gleaned from this site is always helpful. i know the diehard anglers don't really want to divulge their hotspots or successful methods for fear the hordes will arrive, and that's understandable. when you've put in your time and paid your dues the last thing you want is a bunch of hackers mucking up the waters. so it's back to the drawing board for me . cheers! :-\

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:25:03 PM »

Chum salmon will continue to arrive in the Harrison River in the next several weeks. There will also be coho salmon mixed in the schools, but not as many of them. Shore fishing access is limited. The location where you were is just one of a few spots that can be accessed by foot.

For chum salmon, I find that I've had more success retrieving a spoon than a spinner. I've done quite well with a 1/4oz Gibbs Croc spoon, specifically the green hex/scale pattern. For coho, silver/copper/golden hammered pattern works great.

An alternative location would be Nicomen Slough, between Harrison and Stave River. The section downstream from the Lougheed Highway bridge can be good. Both sides of the slough can be accessed by foot. Again, both chum and coho salmon will move in from the Fraser River during the incoming tides.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:26:46 PM »

Fished there myself today for 30 mins and had a 57in sturgeon. I know it doesn't help but........ you did ask.

and was that off the bridge with spoons?

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 02:33:05 PM »

Off a boat with roe.