Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly casting  (Read 4092 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Fly casting
« on: April 17, 2006, 09:49:18 PM »

Okay so all of you know I teach fly fishing, yes I'm the one teaching the classes that Rod has posted on this page.

My point I now have a tool that can help me help you with your fly casting. The British Columnbia 2006 Freshwater & Saltwater Sport Fishing Guide. Get your guide and follow me.

Cover photo: Good delivery, notice the casting loop, not too big (making for slow line speed) and not to tight which can cause your hook to hit your rod causing a fracture in the graphite. Notice the straihgt wrist ( a must for good casting) and also how the elbow is low and at the anglers side (also a must fro good casting).

Page 7: Look at the angler in the lower left: Poor form; notice how the anglers elbow is elevated up and out from his side. If you look closely you can see how having the elbow in this possition alowa for pivotting of ones arm causing the rod to drop too far back on the back cast. The result lose of line speed and the line falling over it's self on the back cast.

Page 29: Lower left on the left page. The absolute worst! High elbow, bent wrist. Look how far back the rod tip goes with this action. It forces the line down onto the water behind you. It's all in the wrist you say BULL!

Page 30: Left page. Elbow too high and too far out from the body causing causing a rotation in the casting plane. the result is a wide uncontrolled loop and poor line speed.

Page 42: Left page. Same as above also look at all the line hanging on the rock where it can be stepped on ond tangled. Hollywood at it's best.

Page 47: Good form, nice controlled loop. Straight wrist elbow low and close to the anglers side.

Page 53: Good pocket water Tom Thumb, Zulu, and Stonefly water. The fish will be both infront of and behind the rocks.

Page 55: Classic BC summer trout water. In the summer when the lakes get to hot, (July, August, & Sept) head for the streams and rivers and look for runs like this. Forget the holes, fish the riffels like the one infront of the angler in this photo.

Hope this helps.     
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Fly casting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 09:57:40 PM »

Missed one, the best of them all page 48. Good form speaks for it's self, Nice tight controlled loop.

YY

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 10:10:58 PM »

Thanks for the free lesson. ;D That is actually quite helpful.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 11:00:25 PM »

Newsman, i know you been teaching fly casting for some years now.. But what sort of certification you got as a casting instructor?? I know you not part of the Federation of fly fisher but is there other teaching certification beside that one??

steelheadjunkie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 01:39:56 AM »

some of the best fly casters and teachers are not FFF certified eg. Dec Hogan and several others. Always safe to go with a FFF certified instructor though, the testing ensures these guys have a firm grasp of both teaching and casting.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 05:43:08 PM »

Well Steelhead king you are right I am not FFF certified. I looked into it 10 years ago and and discussed it with a well respected fly FFF master casting instructor. He explained to me that FFF certification is not requirer here in Canada and that the well intentioned certification program had become more of a cash grab in recent years. He did give me the paperwork, which I still have, and told me to make up my own mind. After some thought and discution with my wife, I could see no reason why after paying out my initially $150 and taking the test, I should have to pay the same people $150 anually to keep my certification current. I could pay it and write it off as a business expence like I do with all my magazine subscriptions, fishing licence, FWR membership, and OWC membership, but I feel that certification is just not worth the anual fee. I am however a certified adult education instructor (1 time Fee). If my crediblity is in question email me and I can send you my resume.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 06:44:59 PM »

well as long as you know the stuff.. i guess it don't matter too much...