Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly lines  (Read 5594 times)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Fly lines
« on: March 26, 2006, 08:12:31 PM »

I have a 6 wt rod and I am getting some new line. I want a sink tip. I dont wanna spend super big bucks, i want to get a decent quility line for the $$. Any suggestions?

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: Fly lines
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »

Buy a Rio Mainstream floating line. Very nice line for the money and is about $45.00. Then you can get a braided loop built on the end and select from different sinking heads ranging anywhere from $10-20. Alot more affordable and you can use it just like a versi-tip system without spending 150 on it. If ya get the chance stop in at Riverside Fly & Tackle in Port Coquitlam they build these for people all the time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:58:21 PM by Trout Slayer »

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 08:52:45 PM »

What will you be using this line for? ie. rivers or lakes

If you are going to be using it primarily for rivers, then any multitip line would be good.  I have and use RIO and am very satisfied.  If you fish the really slow flows, then the clear tip would probably suffice and you can use the heaviest tip to get down in stronger flows.  Also consider getting maybe a 5ft or so section of T-14 for the really deep/fast runs.

Even if you plan on using it mostly on lakes, the above mentioned option might be the best for you.  You want get down more, slip on a heavier tip.

What is your budget?

Shane

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 09:35:54 PM »

Come on guys the Kid said he didn't want to spend big bucks. As I read his post he's looking for fish, not bragging rights.

Here's my advice phone all the fly shops and ask what they have in the clearance box. 36 years of fly fishing has taught me that one line is pretty much the same as another unless you match it to a high end high tech rod. Lines to stay way from are Cortland fairplay and Omni.

If you can find it Aqua Nova also known at Northern is a good general use line (Canadian company and without a reputation so they keep the cost down). When I was running the fly fishing clubs we had a few wholesalers who were selling to us direct and I bought a dozen Norhtern lines for $12 a pop. Another low cost line I can recomend is Woodstock, picked up 10 for $5 each at wholesale clearance. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 09:49:03 PM »

Thanks alot for all your help everyone. I am mosly fishing lakes, and i would like to find a line that is a litle chepper then $45, as i dont have job yet and my parent just spent 300$ on new waders, but i will definitly have that in mind. TS I dont know about the line that you are mesioning, but it kinda sounds high tech? I just need something to get down a couple feet more then my floating line.

Thanks

Fishingbum

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 10:33:04 PM »

See Daryl at Reaction Fly and tackle, he custom builds sinktip lines and won't empty the bank account.

Ian S

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 11:07:42 PM »

Cohokid, don't cheap out on line, its the most important part of your outfit. It can effect your cast as well as your presentation to the fly. Beef it up, bite the bullet get a good line,take care of it and it will serve you a good few years.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 11:21:15 PM »

if your fishing lakes and want something cheap. i've got a deal for you. i have a full sink line by S.A. i'm not going ot be using it as i'm going with floating and a sink tip...cost you a tim's xl java with 3 creams, 2 sugers....i'm in Wash. but pm me and i'll figure a place to drop it off for you..p.s. it's for a 6 wt. too...

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 03:13:25 PM »

hey golfman, sounds good. pm sent.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 03:55:25 PM »

It's yours, use it well, and it's brand new so you'll get some good use out of it..

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 05:45:23 PM »

Now that's more like it, good on you Golfman.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

kettlefisher

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 06:16:15 PM »

I hope this all comes together...GOLFMAN.....You have done good for a good young fisherman that I have seen posting on other boards......he seems like a nice young man that really wants to learn and grow while still protecting the fisheries.

kf