Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass Flies  (Read 6247 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Bass Flies
« on: March 19, 2006, 11:56:51 AM »

I was just wondering if any of you guys fly fish for bass and what flies you use if you do.  I want to try it as that time of the year is approaching......
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: Bass Flies
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 12:07:46 PM »

Poppers on the surface work well when the waters warmer. But a sure bet is always the green wooly bugger with rubber legs. If ya don't tie them yourself check out the Umpqua fly selection at your local shop.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 09:06:54 PM »

Wooly Buggers for sure (black & olive), then Clouser's Deep Minnow. I have also caught them on Crayfish patterns. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »

Olive Damsels

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 06:32:11 PM »

sparkly olive or chartreuse wooly buggers, size 8.  Poppers are ok and fun to fish but ive never caught as well as on the subsurface flies.  Done alright on zonkers too but honestly havent found anything better than the buggers.

BigJesse

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 06:35:39 PM »

Anything that looks like a trout.....just kidding.  I've had good luck with black poppers, and mouse flies when the bass are shallow.  make sure they're weedless, use about 4 feet of strong tippet and hold on tight!  Black leeches and dragonfly nymphs work well too  ;D Riverside has some good bass flies.

BigJesse

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 06:40:59 PM »

Actually, if you guys ever fish St. Mary's Lake, the smallmouth bass in there are almost like trout.  They key in on hatches, and some guys fish for them with chronimids.  I was there last summer during a sedge hatch and they were going crazy for them, we thought they were trout until we started catching them.

Boy Wonder

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 12:44:10 AM »

I used to have a blast at Mill Lake in the summer with green/olive hopper patterns.
Colored leech and bugger patterns seemed to produce well below the surface..