Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano river?  (Read 19407 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano river?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »

If you tie your own, get a rite bobbin, use utc thread (for fly tying {really jig tying is like fly tying just with a lead head on it} I avoid uni thread like the plague, horrible breaking strength)

As for marabou, get strung marabou from wapsi.  Never had a problem with it.
Nonsense. UNI thread works great.

hrenya

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 04:56:20 AM »

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/spo/5220608821.html

cheaper than stores ;) he`s a nice guy too , I got quite a few jigs from him and sturgeon weights ...

Silver

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »

The latest river report says that the Capilano season is ending...

Are the Chinook done...no fresh ones to come?

There has only been one or two brief rises in river level since April...

Are they still at the mouth?

What weeks do the Chinook run in the Capilano normally?

Silver

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 09:24:07 PM »

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 11:11:16 PM »

after this push of rain most of them moved up that day visited the highway bridge and landed a nice spring defintley worth a try if not springs then tons of cohos. gonna fish there on Saturday. also search ebi fisher on youtube has tons of vids at the cap

Canuck

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:34 AM »

In case you were not aware, scents count as bait and there is currently a bait ban on the Capilano.
I fished just above the highway bridge last week and saw that ebi fisher guy there. I fished beside him and after he was tired of float fishing with no success he took off the float, threw on a large jig and proceeded to start ripping through the water and snag into the side of a large spring which got away. Bet that's not something you'll see on his youtube channel   

Silver

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 09:02:06 AM »

In the video with the large spring, it appears to be swimming downstream hooked in the belly in front of the anal fin.
Also, the other videos appear edited to remove hook sets.
The fly fishing looked legit.

Just saying...only my observations.

This is why I am discouraged on Cap fishing. It's been a virtually non existent season so far. and I am wondering when the Chinook run typically ends, and when the Coho run typically ends?

I have only seen 1 or two fresh fish in the ladder, and only a couple of moldy springs so far. It was only after the 1 rain event around Sept 15 that fresh fish could be seen porposing the rapids and splashing around...I even saw a trophy steelhead in fall color that day. In seasons past I would see the windows filled with bright fish during the run...It was only when the entire run was nearing its course that they would darken.

The fish are just lock jawed unless they are newcomers. And I am not interested in snagging fish, or
putting in too much wasted time.

Even last weeks rain, it only brought the river up to just over a foot. I suppose this was enough to fish the highway bridge but I want to fish anywhere elsewhere in the mid river and that has not been possible. Even the one significant river rise was a brief and insignificant event.

How much more time is left In the run? It is my understanding that if a river run is delayed due to low water in a river, then the salmon will hold at the mouth until they can safely travel upstream. They should stay fresh until such time...correct?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »

Last year was October 4-6 when finishing was really great and had the biggest push of fish that I've seen

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »

Their will be fish in there but timing and luck will play a part.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »

hopefully have a chance to fish this weekend might either float yarn or jig for cohos.  Theres one specific pool under the highway bridge which fish love to stack up in and are waiting for the snaggers. when the pinks were running I was float fishing with wool but after no success i asked some people nearby what they were "catching" on and he showed me snagged a pink for me with a jig. bloody snaggers spook the fish

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »

The river was pretty low and lonely yesterday.  I only fished for a couple of hours in the morning.  There were some rolling stale fish which might have been springs.  I saw 1 silver colored fish that jumped.  When I got back to the parking lot just before lunch time, my car was the only one there.  I think with the water level so low, your odds are not good. Vedder and Stave and even Squamish will be better options.

Silver

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 11:08:19 PM »

Where did you fish?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2015, 09:44:48 AM »

Where did you fish?
Your favorite fishing spot ;D
I'm pretty sure I met you on the river last year.  I was the guy the lost that 20lb spring to the rapids, after fighting it for 30 minutes using 8lb mono.  You landed a nice coho using one of your spinners in that murky water.

Silver

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2015, 07:47:30 PM »

Yes, I remember.
I think there may be 1 or 2 days to still be had there. If the river rises and there is a high tide I believe that spot will produce...the fish hold in that deep pool.
Even when the river is low like this, I can cast a 3/8 oz lure into that hole and it takes 12 seconds to hit bottom...with no current.
It was already November then so there is still hope.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »

Gonna hit the highway bridge pool any sujestions on what to use