Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano river?  (Read 19408 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano river?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »

I agree with you on "don't fish the dock" part :)

Unless you are stripping a small olive bugger on a sinking line then it's dynamite!   :)

hrenya

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 09:40:32 PM »

Unless you are stripping a small olive bugger on a sinking line then it's dynamite!   :)
read his post :) if he had no luck on rice , he wasn`t flyfishing :D

Silver

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »

Hyrena,

Sounds like you are an extremely proficient angler, and have had extraordinary success at Rice.

I wonder if the first day or two of a fresh stocking provides for this kind of action? I'm not sure as i did not get to the various lakes as quickly this last Spring.

To clarify, I also suggested baiting the hook with the business end sticking out...just in other words perhaps.
The fish I caught fortunately did not swallow any hooks with the method I was taught. However, I did retain all of the landed ones anyway...as some managed to escape.
I suppose whatever works is the right way.

Not really interested anymore in catching lake trout as they all taste like dirt, and the fun factor is gone after catching a handful.

Leaving it for the kids now...

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 05:32:59 AM »

I wonder if Rice lake needs it's own thread?
This started out about the Cap...

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 05:22:11 PM »

Hey back from the cap was fishing under the highway bridge. Was twitching for coho in a pool no success. Moved over to the other side and float fished orange wool with some scent. Landed a nice chinook deffintley some fish but most are stale

tmac

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 05:34:02 PM »

Hey back from the cap was fishing under the highway bridge. Was twitching for coho in a pool no success. Moved over to the other side and float fished orange wool with some scent. Landed a nice chinook deffintley some fish but most are stale

In case you were not aware, scents count as bait and there is currently a bait ban on the Capilano.

mko72

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 06:28:07 PM »

What are your preferred jig colors for twitching? Does anyone use those Bent Rod ones? Are they worth the money/minimum $40 order?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 07:00:10 PM »

Though they're not hard to tie.
(That's an additional expense for some)
Single jigs are available at most tackle shops and there are some knock offs out there as well.
(Though one should pay attention to hook quality)
Check out Bent Rod's site he has videos on how to use them.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 07:16:44 PM »

For twitching I still prefer the simple curly tail rubber grub (Mr. Twister etc.)

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 09:15:08 PM »

In case you were not aware, scents count as bait and there is currently a bait ban on the Capilano.
Shoot. had that in the back of my head but scents were not. sorry

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »

What are your preferred jig colors for twitching? Does anyone use those Bent Rod ones? Are they worth the money/minimum $40 order?

Try army and navy the have some bent rod jigs and for coho i use pink,black,blue,red have had most success with black and red

hrenya

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 06:21:41 AM »

where is a guy in abby making them , you can get them about 2$ a piece , check on craigslist "coho jigs"

Animal Chin

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 10:30:21 PM »

Bent Rod Jigs are probably your best bet. Great sickle hooks and Rod Toth lives in Chilliwack so know local rivers... or you can make your own, pretty easy.

Just get a $20 vice, but don't cheap out on the bobbin (thing that holds the thread). I took a class at SeaRun with Andrew.. worth it. Though in the end, with materials and the cost of quality hooks it's pretty close in price to store bought.

I like pink/white, pink/chartreuse, purple/hot pink (cerise).

fetoid

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »

Fishing the mouth of the Cap is fun w/ kids.  You'll need a Tidal license and it's easiest to fish during a low tide. 

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »

If you tie your own, get a rite bobbin, use utc thread (for fly tying {really jig tying is like fly tying just with a lead head on it} I avoid uni thread like the plague, horrible breaking strength)

As for marabou, get strung marabou from wapsi.  Never had a problem with it.