Fishing in British Columbia > The Fish Kitchen

Who likes sushi?

(1/7) > >>

Rodney:

salty:
I don't like sushi. I LOVE it.
Have made my own from salmon and prawns.  Fresh caught is so tasty, we do it right on the boat ( salt water only),  Some people say salmon  should be frozen first but i have been OK sofar.  I bring my own "sushi box" on board. I would like more info on safety of salmon if anybody knows more. ' :P'

aquaboy24:
What I have learned from the various sushi making courses that I have taken is as follows - shallow water fish is more dangerous than deep water fish. The particular nasty "sushi worm", who's scientific name I cannot recall at the moment lie in little curled balls between the muscle fiber of fish meat. There are alot of them in rockfish. (I bought a rockfish fillet at Steveston, and it had a total of 8 or these worms in it - thank god I cooked it). I wouldn't eat salmon raw unless it was flash frozen.

I have eaten scallops (actualy eaten them underwater while scuba diving......now that is fresh!)

Tuna right off the fish on a boat, and shark.

Other than that...and octopus, I would think twice.

Vince

funky rodder:
i love this nemo dish   :P
i guess we've finally found nemo   :D

Buckeye:
I'm glad someone brought up the roundworm issue. Roundworms are extremely common in pacific salmon. It is rare that i catch one that doesn't have at least one visible in the flesh after i fillet it.
I am no expert, but i believe Anisakis simplex is the most common in our salmon.
Before anyone freaks out i'd like to point out that these parasites are not poisonous. People eat them all the time. The dificulty arises when people consume an infected fish raw. To do so safely the fish should be frozen at - 20°C for 60 hours. That will kill all worms. The other option is to cook the fish. It takes only 1 minute at 60°C to kill the worms. Remember that the entire mass should be at that temperature, so for example a fillet 3 cm thick would need to be cooked for at least 10 minutes at 60°C for the entire piece to reach a temperature high enough to be safe. Salting and marinating does not kill them, neither does cold-smoking.
For more info see http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap25.html

*ps* I still love sushi!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version