Re: Nice!
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »

Reduced to name calling Steve? Sad.

Can't circumvent the constitution, NB.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2015, 08:09:17 AM »

Nope. Just pointing out the facts Steve. But don't let them get in the way of your posts. I didn't imply anything, I just pointed out the optics. Shame on me? LOL!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:11:06 AM by Novabonker »
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »

I know many like Chris (to busy he once said), Nova and tb don't read Bob's posts, but this is a must.  Read it, and like it says, please report any errors.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2015, 05:13:08 PM »

I know many like Chris (to busy he once said), Nova and tb don't read Bob's posts, but this is a must.  Read it, and like it says, please report any errors.

I have a great little business to run, grandchildren, rugby, fishing ;), and a plethora of other things that sort of take precedent and after someone posted innuendo and some outright lies, I have little enough time and none to argue with a pile of salmon farmer's self serving nonsense. I do respect most of your posts and the hard work you put in for no money or glory (to a degree :D) Steve a tiny bit, but grudgingly.

And now for why this is an actionable, and don't shoot me. I brought it up with my legal buddy, and to boil it all down to a syrup- You can't have a binding contract with a minor. Most of the ,um, agreements won't hold water in a court, as well as charter rights. To be accurate, he told me a charter challenge, while it probably would be successful, may not work , but everything would rest on the contract with a minor, which is illegal. I know the person that told me that has a fine legal mind, teaches and has an outstanding background. I didn't have time to pick over the details when I talked to him earlier in the week, but I asked more specific questions today.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/contract-law/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »

Nova, you and I are good, I want you to know that.  Your pm to me when I lost my dog Molly meant a lot to me.
We all get caught up in this stuff, me especially ::) but I know some posts simply are not read, for whatever reasons ...

Had a discussion with my buddy Milo this afternoon and I told him I might be taking a lesser role in these on line debates.  Hope I can do that ;D

Tight lines Nova; I wish you all the best and again, thanks.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »

Nope. Just pointing out the facts Steve. But don't let them get in the way of your posts. I didn't imply anything, I just pointed out the optics. Shame on me? LOL!

Sorry, but you are a stranger to the facts here, NB.  As you can see going down memory road can be tough to take. but whether you like it or not Gord was correct to point that out. The rest you did on your own.  Obviously you can see now that the Freedom of Expression in this country is not absolute. If you learned that much then my job here was successful. When you are ready to start discussing the actual issue again let me know.

Oh, I see the comment about the a binding contract with a minor. Good point, but did you and your lawyer actually read the UISA VIPL Parent's Code of Conduct in that link Bob provided? Look closely. Now I fully understand I am not a lawyer with an outstanding background (you got me there), just a dumb biologist, but I am kind of meticulous when it comes to looking for detail in what I am reading and researching.  I will provide you the link below so you do not have to sift through an article you refuse to acknowledge, but that is your choice.  However, Dave did recommend you read it and there was reason for it.  As for a charter challenge, fly at it I say. Not much more to add on that.

https://uiriptide.wufoo.com/forms/uisa-vipl-parents-code-of-conduct/

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2015, 11:11:30 PM »

And around goes the merry go round. We get back to control of the PARENTS right to free speech. As my friend said, you can't legally do that, so the contract isn't worth a hill of beans. I pursed that question with him as well. Simply put, if they chose to take it to court, the soccer association would lose. Now I would take a man who teaches law and has worked everywhere from private law firms to being a federal  judicial law clerk for the court of appeal amongst other pursuits as quite well versed and knowing what he's talking about. However, if I need some biological advice, I'll know to ask you. If you need any flooring maintenance or installation advise, ask me. But I'm not asking you about law. Or flooring. ;)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2015, 11:35:31 PM »

Nova, you and I are good, I want you to know that.  Your pm to me when I lost my dog Molly meant a lot to me.
We all get caught up in this stuff, me especially ::) but I know some posts simply are not read, for whatever reasons ...

Had a discussion with my buddy Milo this afternoon and I told him I might be taking a lesser role in these on line debates.  Hope I can do that ;D

Tight lines Nova; I wish you all the best and again, thanks.

Thanks Dave - it would be a loss to not have you involved in the chatter. You're an intelligent man who brings a lot to the table. Be warned, it's hard to not get involved when it doesn't pass the personal smell test. I tried for a while and failed.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2015, 12:17:37 PM »

You made me read it Dave and all I thought was why some goofball media hack from Alaskasalmonblahblahblah cares about a BC soccer mom. They should stay focused on Alaska yes no? Mind there own business instead of shamelessly promoting causes beyond their stated purpose. Just saying.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »

I guess then it would be fair to say that Doc Morton should mind her own business and go back to her home country. Lots of salmon farms there to protest.   

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2015, 10:16:41 PM »

After reading that article it's clear to me who the 'nutter' is.

The guy who wrote this is just doing a bad version of Harper's tactics trying to label people as 'political' and 'activist' like this is some kind of horrible thing.

Love to know more about what Willie's fish farm investment is though. Could 'propagandhist Bob' elaborate on that one?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2015, 10:59:18 PM »

The links in the blog should answer your question or you can leave a comment at the bottom of the blog.   

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2015, 11:30:11 PM »

And around goes the merry go round. We get back to control of the PARENTS right to free speech. As my friend said, you can't legally do that, so the contract isn't worth a hill of beans. I pursed that question with him as well. Simply put, if they chose to take it to court, the soccer association would lose. Now I would take a man who teaches law and has worked everywhere from private law firms to being a federal  judicial law clerk for the court of appeal amongst other pursuits as quite well versed and knowing what he's talking about. However, if I need some biological advice, I'll know to ask you. If you need any flooring maintenance or installation advise, ask me. But I'm not asking you about law. Or flooring. ;)

In your previous post you did something kind of strange by starting to talk about a contract with a minor which this clearly isn’t as I correctly showed you.  That’s why it’s called Parent’s Code of Conduct.  Now you have backed away from that argument and are back at the parents again – thank you.

Freyja’s or her mother’s right’s to free speech is not being violated.  Critics keep harping about this, but they don’t understand.  They have let emotions take over any objectivity here.  Freyja and her mother can express their opinion and conduct their campaigns about Marine Harvest and the soccer association all they want, but outside of the soccer league because the focus should be on soccer, not actions which take away from the game itself.  The Code of Conduct is meant to protect those involved from bullying, gossip and intimidation in social networks, texts, blogs, emails, etc.  By saying that it is not worth a hill of beans means that referees, coaches, players and volunteers are open to abuse from others within the soccer league.  How reasonable is that?  If that is the type of playing environment that is being fostered then how do you attract players, coaches, volunteers and of course sponsors.  Frankly, it is ludicrous to think that an amateur sport association whether be soccer, hockey, baseball, etc. would not have a code of conduct that maintained a respectful playing environment where the individuals involved do not have to see themselves slagged on Facebook by other players, parents, coaches or volunteers.

Again, these codes of conduct are nothing new.  Go to any reputable amateur sporting association and you will notice that they have a code of conduct.  I would be very surprised that any court would find them highly restrictive and not reasonable because having an amateur sport league turned into an environment where its participants can be attacked by off-field comments in social media by other participants is not what the Charter was meant for.  The other example that I did not mention before were employees in the private and government work places.  They can express their opinions about their employer, colleagues or client, but they may find themselves reprimanded or have their position terminated.  It is not uncommon for those workplaces to have codes of conduct – I can show you and your lawyer one I am very familiar with.  Do you think the Charter would or should protect those individuals automatically?  As you found out the other day, slander and libel are not protected by the Charter.  You already unknowingly proved my point with this forum the other day about that (Lots of chest pounding about that, but I am wondering why you have not gone after Bob if he was so much in the wrong).  That is why the Charter is not carte blanche to say whatever you want.  Your lawyer should have advised you of this.

Critics of the association seem to think that a great injustice has been done so the Reeds need to go to court, get her back on the team, and sue the association by fighting this over Freedom of Expression.  Ok, let’s say that the Reed’s after spending lots of money and time are successful in court.  Many want Freyja to be able to return to her team in Comox instead of travelling an hour away to another team.  Well that is probably not a good idea considering the Reeds were almost publicly lynched in a meeting by the parents of the other players.  The Reeds totally underestimated the reaction of the other parents.  The other parents are equally passionate and invested in their children on the team, and have been forgotten in all this.  The Reeds have made this all about their plight while the other players and their parents have had to endure the barrage of media showing up at games, practices and other events looking for interviews.  It was a powder keg that was basically ready to blow.  In my opinion, the Reeds naively thought that they were going to rally support with the other parents so they could all take on the association to have the sponsor removed from the team.  Well it did not happen and it is obvious now that Reeds do not have overwhelming support in the community.  Secondly, Freyja would be returning to a team that has the same sponsor that was there before.  What kind of resolution would that be for her considering her opposition to Marine Harvest as a sponsor for the team?

Sue for money?  Sounds good, but I thought the goal was to have Freyja play soccer – not to have lots of money over this.  In the public realm, the Reeds may open themselves up to further ridicule if they accept cash over this.  More importantly, if codes of conduct like this are deemed “not worth a hill of beans” in court then what does that say about other amateur sport leagues with similar codes of conduct.  Be careful about what you wish for, NB.  Again, the simplest, most cost effective solutions which met the Reeds objectives were passed up due to stubbornness and selfishness on behalf of the Reeds.  Those were: to not wear Marine Harvest branding or participate in functions that relate to the sponsor; go to another team with a different sponsor; or have their money back.  In my opinion, a wise lawyer would have advised these options before going to court where expenses, time and frustrations are really not worth it when there are other alternatives.  Even when you win sometimes you really lose in the end.  Need to know when to cut your losses and pick your battles.  My lawyer taught me these things when I needed her advice at a pivotal time in my life.  I am surprised that your lawyer did not mention any of this – only if a person would win or not.  I do not think you are getting very good advice with this.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:32:49 PM by shuswapsteve »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2015, 05:45:59 AM »

You're wrong Steve, get over yourself and move on buddy. Stick to biology because law obviously isn't your strong suit. I asked the pertinent questions and off the record opinion of a legal expert - on a hypothetical situation. You didn't like what the response was, everyone gets that.And as to who gets the black eye? It has nothing to do with what the laws of the land, our opinions or public sentiment. But do feel free to carry on.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:47:36 AM by Novabonker »