Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder July 18th  (Read 5409 times)

fishfinder

Re: Vedder July 18th
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2006, 03:01:54 PM »

why? because one guy does it, he catches a fish, so everyone does it Smiley  you have to realize that those people aren't fishin for fun, they are fishing for DINNER! well maybe some fun is involved...

I think the guys at the KWB knew the fish were sockeyes so they must be fishing for fun. Six feet of float and six foot leader bottom bounced can only mean one thing.  One guy even commented that he liked way the sockeyes fought.
I thought the sockeye numbers were low for Chilliwak and Cultus lakes. Shouldn't the DFO do something so the sockeyes are left alone? Any decent fishermen would know the chinooks don't hang around in two feet of water for long.

It's much cheaper to buy fish like Nicole said. I know a guy who has the latest Simms G3 waders, jacket, boots and hat. He has a nice Sage rod with Shimano reel. Drives a new Ford F350. But this guy can't catch a fish if his life depended on it. In fact he always asks his buddies to catch some fish for him. He's really doing it for sport alright because he could have bought a truckload of salmon and halibut with his Simms outfit. Or he could have bought a lifetime's supply of fish with his F350.

I cycled from Peach to the train bridge this morning and didn't see any Springs hooked. Saw about ten guys out. Saw some fish splashing but I think they were sockeyes.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2006, 03:21:14 PM »

Hey fishfinder got to agree with you on that one with regards to KWB. With this heat wave in the Fraser Valley, trying to intentionally catch sockeye should be frowned upon in the Vedder River. The stress those fish has to be under must be pretty high.  Why DFO does not get involved in trying to crack down on this unnecessary harassment of sockeye salmon is anyone's guess.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »

why? because one guy does it, he catches a fish, so everyone does it Smiley  you have to realize that those people aren't fishin for fun, they are fishing for DINNER! well maybe some fun is involved...

I think the guys at the KWB knew the fish were sockeyes so they must be fishing for fun. Six feet of float and six foot leader bottom bounced can only mean one thing.  One guy even commented that he liked way the sockeyes fought.
I thought the sockeye numbers were low for Chilliwak and Cultus lakes. Shouldn't the DFO do something so the sockeyes are left alone? Any decent fishermen would know the chinooks don't hang around in two feet of water for long.

It's much cheaper to buy fish like Nicole said. I know a guy who has the latest Simms G3 waders, jacket, boots and hat. He has a nice Sage rod with Shimano reel. Drives a new Ford F350. But this guy can't catch a fish if his life depended on it. In fact he always asks his buddies to catch some fish for him. He's really doing it for sport alright because he could have bought a truckload of salmon and halibut with his Simms outfit. Or he could have bought a lifetime's supply of fish with his F350.

I cycled from Peach to the train bridge this morning and didn't see any Springs hooked. Saw about ten guys out. Saw some fish splashing but I think they were sockeyes.

haha you just perfectly described Normfish lol

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 04:29:46 PM »

By Doing that, 95% of the best flywater I fish would be off limits... At least allow fly fishing, then I'll be able to thrash around with my spey rod well away from you :)

Cheers,
Nicole

Fishfinder, even if fishing for fun these anglers should not be targeting Cultas sockeye as they are endangered as you have posted. Just like Fish Assasin says it is very frustrating, I reported 5 violators yesterday (1 was their spotter on the bridge) morning and I hear the same thing is going on at night. I know that DFO reads these posts and will hopefully have an officer out to fine these clowns. I can see a closure coming from just above the Vedder crossing to the mouth at the Fraser if this doesn't stop. Same old thing, the many pay for the actions of the few.
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

fishfryer

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006, 05:06:45 PM »

fished from first light till 11:30, nary a wee sniff. saw a sockeye at Lickman, fished upper early, then mid river. not too many fisherman, only fish that I saw taken were by a guy and his son at lickman, targeting, and catching steelhead smolts with baby shrimp, ok I guess technically they're rainbows. anyhow, they had no trouble bonking 2 fish, both of which weren't even 10 inches long. the things you see when you don't have any cement shoes handy.