Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout Bumming Weekend, July 15th to 17th  (Read 2649 times)

Chrome Mykiss

Trout Bumming Weekend, July 15th to 17th
« on: July 18, 2006, 10:30:29 PM »

Normally, I would have joined Rod and the FWR crew at St. Mary's for the annual Bass'in, but since the earliest I could get off of work was Friday night, I decided to go trout fishing ;D It is rare for me to post reports, but this site lacks fly fishing content, so I felt compelled to give fellow trout bums a fix ::)
On Saturday I hit up a lake between Merrit and Kamloops with my pontoon. While making my way out on to the water I observed some adult chironomids and damselflies flying around. I started marking fish in 23 ft of water right away, anchored up and starting bobbing a chironomid. It didn't take long before I had the first one on. The fish seam to come in waves all day, like 4-6 fish at a time. I moved around a bit, keying in on water that was 23-28 ft of water. It didn't really seam to matter which chironomid I was dunking, they all seamed to work about the same. The fish were of decent size ranging from 12"-20", typical Kamloops bows. I finished at 5 pm with about 20 or so fish to the boat and countless others lost ;)
Here's a few pics:

On Sunday and Monday, I changed things up a bit by joining Itosh to fish some big flowing water for wild Rainbows. I started off with a #8 brown stonefly nymph under an indicator, which became the most productive rig ;D Once again, it didn't take long, 2nd cast I hooked and landed a 14-15" bow. We covered plenty of water, fishing both nymphs and Stimulators. We caught fish in all sorts of water, everything from pockets, tailouts to big back eddies. The biggest fish I had on was in the 20" range, which quickly took me out to the backing and then running right at me so quick that i had trouble keeping up to it with my large arbor Islander reel  :o It flopped off while attempting to land it  :P The fish ranged between 8"-18", most were in healthy condition, only a couple were post spawn. There was a good hatch of caddis and smaller golden stoneflies.
Here's some pics:

:D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:59:45 PM by Nina »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Trout Bumming Weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 10:38:46 PM »

Excellent report and nice pictures.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 10:40:11 PM »

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:41:45 PM »

"PIMP", as Snoop would say ;D  It kept me from burning my ears and cheeks  ::)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 10:43:18 PM »

awsome report, nice fish too, I wish i could get out and do more still water flyfishing :P
weeeeeeeeeow!

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
Re: Trout Bumming Weekend, July 15th to 17th
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 12:59:45 AM »

Definitely a nice trip and great to finally catch some rainbows on the flow!  Unfortunately, the dry fly action was less than spectacular and only seeme to pick up during the last hour or so of our trip.  The bobber and nymph combo was definitely the right choice.  Weather was sunny and HOT HOT HOT!!

Another pic for one of the site sponsors!!

Shane

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 12:20:50 PM »

You truely are a trout bum!  I thought all you guys are all some where on the fraser chasing salmon  ;)

Keep up the good work

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 12:36:09 PM »

If you want a sponsor photo this one from last year is my favourite.

phatwop

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 02:39:24 PM »

Wow, those are really beautiful fish and some nice under water shots. It always great to see some beauty rainbows....
What kind of underwater digi-cam set up are you using?

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 07:32:51 PM »

Nice looking fish!!! I went fishing in the Chilliwack area this weekend and hooked into tons of trout but they almost all had their spawning colors. What time of year do these fish start to clean up again in the lower and higher elevation lakes?

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 09:45:53 PM »

Wow, those are really beautiful fish and some nice under water shots. It always great to see some beauty rainbows....
What kind of underwater digi-cam set up are you using?

I am using a Pentax Optio WPi, which has a JIS class 8 waterproof housing. However, Pentax has already replaced that model with the Optio W10, which are both 6 megapixel cameras. I also have an older Pentax Optio 43WR, which is a 4 megapixel waterproof camera that runs on two AA batteries. That is my backup camera on trips, since it is difficult to recharge a lithium battery out in the field.

Nice looking fish!!! I went fishing in the Chilliwack area this weekend and hooked into tons of trout but they almost all had their spawning colors. What time of year do these fish start to clean up again in the lower and higher elevation lakes?

The Rainbow trout should be well on their way to cleaning up by now from the spawn, since that usually happens in April/ May. What kind of trout were you catching Rainbows or Cutthroat? The Coastal Cutthroat can vary in colouration especially lake fish, which are know to have darker colourations. However, some trout never really recover that well from the spawn, but to have caught all spawning coloured fish at theis time of the year is unusual, even if its a high elevation lake. Also, what colour was the water in this lake? Lakes that are tannin (brownish water) tend to have darker coloured fish in general.

phatwop

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 01:23:24 PM »

Thanks for the camera and trout info. Haven't seen rainbows that nice in a long time. Are there any good spots for cutthroat in the lower mainland?  The lower Cap used to have a nice pile of them but since the new condo development started by the Marine Drive bridge early last year I haven't seen any. Theirs so many new huge while rocks placed into the river bed that it must have destroyed some nice trout habitat. About 3 years ago, the Cutthroat were plenty in that small area where   Brothers Creek drains into the Cap that has since seen a complete change..

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 05:37:08 PM »

The lake I was fishing had crystal clear water, when in a float tub you could probably see down about 60 feet or so and see all the fishing swimming in the lake near shore and out further. I only hit two bars of chrome and the rest were pretty red looking. They were plentiful and willing bitters just not clean. It was quite clear they were still spawning as well. Oh yeah, all were rainbows.