Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeking info for sturgeon shore fishing  (Read 8699 times)

donkofish

Seeking info for sturgeon shore fishing
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »

Hi folks, I've been thinking about coming out to the Fraser for a long time now and I'm finally going to do it (from Kelowna). Unfortunately my schedule only allows me to stay out there for a couple of days, but I plan on making the most of it! I've done a lot of reading on these forums to find out what to do, and this was my plan:

I'm planning on targeting sturgeon from shore. Any location from Richmond all the way up to Hope would be fine with me. I was planning on using 100lb braided, a slip weight (18-22oz approximately??) and I'll try an assortment of worms, suckers and maybe lamprey if I can find somewhere to buy them. Any other suggestions would be great, although I've always found worms to work best for sturgeon (in Alberta and Manitoba, where I've caught a few). I use spinning gear and can cast pretty far out.

So the main question I have is where would be a decent spot using this setup at this time of year?

I don't want to ask for any secret holes or anything, but some advice on a decent spot where I might have a chance of reeling in a sturgeon or two from shore would be great. I'll only be here for the 2 days so you don't have to worry about me crowding your spots or telling anyone about them! Any input would be much appreciated and feel free to send a private message or email if you don't want to post it up here.

Thanks !!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:55:50 PM by donkofish »

donkofish

Re: Seeking info for sturgeon shore fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »

Sorry I forgot to add: I don't know the Fraser very well at all. I found this website which has a map of the Fraser bars, so if you describe any locations, it would be awesome if you could use this map as a reference. Right now I'm thinking somewhere around Chilliwack looks promising, but I really have no idea what it will look like when I actually get there

http://www.anglingbc.com/index.cfm/page/187/map.html

I don't mind hiking a little too if that would get me to a better spot
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:58:11 PM by donkofish »

joshuag232

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:05:32 PM »

Anywhere along Dyke Rd. in Richmond is good. Just drive down No.5 road past Ironwood Mall until you hit the water and go right. Look for spots along the road that protrude more into the river. As for bait, I've had the best luck using uncured roe. It stinks like crazy and seems to attract sturgeon from a long ways. I just tie it up in nylon and make a nice bag.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 05:22:01 PM »

Roe,  lamprey,  eulechon,  and at this time of year even pikeminnow are my choice for bait. Pikeminnow can be caught with light tackle just about anywhere along the fraser and work best when fresh (not frozen).

X-timber-X

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »

The weight your throwing out there depends on how fast the current is. Only chuck what you need, too little and it will bounce down river. Too heavy could make setting the hook a little tougher..  I usually bring assortment of weights... 6oz- 18oz and every where in between. As for spots , spend a day scouting google earth for docks, or where land sticks into the river a bit. Then drive around and spend the day finding some of your own honey holes, It won't take long...Happy hunting

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »

Josh's suggestion along Dyke Road in Richmond is good, but keep in mind that the shallow water close to shore can be very snaggy. Another spot, where there are less snags, is the No. 3 Road Pier in Richmond where a local core group of sturgeon fishers regularly gather.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2009/07/09/sturgeon-on-the-pier/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuPvWJ5dNTg

Be aware of large debris floating down the river when fishing during this time of the year because of freshet. The last thing you want is to have a tree dragging your line down the river. It can only take a few seconds to mess up the rest of your trip.

Good luck!

donkofish

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »

Thanks guys, all these tips are really helpful. Sounds like Richmond is the area to be then. I was picturing it being pretty built up that far down river with not many spots to access the river. Any tackle shops in particular around Richmond that you guys recommend? Also, was thinking about staying at Harrison for a day on the way back, so would there be any spots around Chilliwack/Hope that would be worthwhile if I get up early the morning I head back?

Cheers guys thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »

Never heard back to email i repied too last night!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »

Thanks guys, all these tips are really helpful. Sounds like Richmond is the area to be then. I was picturing it being pretty built up that far down river with not many spots to access the river. Any tackle shops in particular around Richmond that you guys recommend? Also, was thinking about staying at Harrison for a day on the way back, so would there be any spots around Chilliwack/Hope that would be worthwhile if I get up early the morning I head back?

Cheers guys thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge

If you are in Richmond, there are two stores which you should check out. Berry's Bait and Tackle on Westminster Highway (just east of No. 6 Road) has been there for 40 years. It has both salt and freshwater gear. The guys who work there fish locally so they can answer your questions further. If you need sturgeon bait, this is the place to get them.

The other store to check out is Nikka in Steveston (3551 Moncton Street). 50% of this store caters boaters while the other half is for fishing, both recreational and commercial. Their customers fish along the south side of Richmond often so it's a good place to get updated information. Steveston is also a must visit if you are in Richmond, check out the commercial boats at the dock on the weekend, they are usually selling fresh local seafood.

Shore access is a little more challenging between Chilliwack and Hope for sturgeon fishing. The water is a lot more turbulent as well. Most of the sturgeon fishing is done from a boat in this area. It's heavily fished by guide boats so your chance of getting into some fish is slimmer unless you know specific productive spots. Two stores you should check out in Chilliwack for local information, Fred's Custom Tackle by the Vedder Crossing and Chilliwack Dart and Tackle in Downtown Chilliwack.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »

Never heard back to email i repied too last night!

lol... so they stopped u from ranting on flybc now you come here to let out the rest of your steam? chill, not everyone checks their email 20 times per day, most people have a life.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »

I know of a sure spot and you can sit comfortably in a chair while fishing with a high chance on sturgeon and it is not in Richmond. I don't fish for sturgeon but I have seen so many sturgeons hooked there so I know it is a sue fire spot. You can reply here with your email and I will let you know the spot. And you have to be willing to exchange some great fishing locations in Kelowna for a trade, especially for bass or walleye. Just kidding. Buy yes, this spot is convenient and very productive from shore with easy access.

joshuag232

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »

Slightly off topic but one awesome thing about sturgeon fishing in the Lower Fraser is getting to see the variety of different phenotypes. From what I've noticed, the stugeon closer to the ocean appear to be more robust and torpedo shaped with pink tinged fins. The ones from freshwater appear to be more elongated and are a darker colour without the pink fins.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »

Why drive all the way to Richmond?

Here are a couple spots
Ballam Rd in Chilliwack
Gill Road in Chilliwack
Under the Mission bridge on the Abbotsford side
Duncan bar in Abbotsford

Those are some pretty good spots that are further east.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:10:09 PM »

Because Richmond is the centre of the Universe, even people from K-Town know that. ;D