Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shakespeare synergy rods  (Read 3463 times)

Suther

Shakespeare synergy rods
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »

Has anyone used a Shakespeare synergy rod?  I was looking at the 7' medium action spinning rod with 6-12lb line rating.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/Shakespeare%C2%AE-Synergy-Rod/1285715,default,pd.html#srule=price-low-to-high&start=8&sz=12

They are on sale for only $12!!! At that price it seems hard to go wrong...?

Please let me know any experience you have with this line of rods. Thanks!

Outdoorsman

Re: Shakespeare synergy rods
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »

Even if it's not a good rod........$12 seems alright to have in your truck as a backup/spare!

bj23

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »

- At $12 bucks, you don't need opinions. Run man, run - buy it! Fish the hell out of it.
- If it doesn't get you fish, return it to the vendor, get your money back and let him garbage it. That's his business - he's there for YOU!
- Like you say, 'hard to go wrong'.

Suther

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »

Even if it's not a good rod........$12 seems alright to have in your truck as a backup/spare!
This is a sale price from their website, so there's shipping, plus gas to go to the states, plus a $5 pick-up fee... But if I get two, its still under $20 a piece. Graphite rod, cork grips.... If they are a half-decent rod, thats a good price, if they are crappy rods, then Im better off just getting something cheap locally, like one of these...

http://www.armyandnavy.ca/Shimano-FXS-70MB2-FX-Spinning-Freshwater-Rod_p_8671.html

I have one of these rods in a 9' medium-heavy, and its certainly not a very light rod. I was thinking this Shakespeare rod looks like a nice choice for tossing metal (as I currently use a 6' zebco Horizon rod from Canadian tire...) but I was really hoping someone around here had some experience with them, as online reviews are a nice mix of "this rod is awesome!" and "this rod is crap!" which doesn't really help in making a decision.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:11:31 PM »

bought my son 1 of the 7ft fxs series rods in the spincast version, the only thing i don't like about it is it really heavy ! makes it hard for him to cast after awhile. even when i pick it up I can really feel the weight.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:13:45 PM by rjs »

Suther

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »

bought my son 1 of the 7ft fxs series rods in the spincast version, the only thing i don't like about it is it really heavy ! makes it hard for him to cast after awhile. even when i pick it up I can really feel the weight.

Well thats exactly what I expect if I go try out one. I bought my 9' for bottom fishing from piers, and bar fishing, so the weight doesn't really matter, but Im looking for a rod to cast for a few hours straight, and I would need to carry it while hiking to a spot to fish.

doja

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »

Landed a chum on the chilliwack river with it....  I used it for bottom fishing the ocean mainly.. worked good. Unfortunately the racoons broke it. I'd buy another in a hart beat!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:56:26 AM by doja »