Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Vibram sole wading boots  (Read 9302 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Simms Vibram sole wading boots
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »

Does anyone have a review on the Simms treaded wading boots?
Mostly concerned at how well they grip on greasy wet rocks and logs compared to the old felt.
Not so much concerned with trail walking or bushwhacking as I seem to spend more time on my arse sliding then walking.
Thanks in advance

mvelasco

Re: Simms Vibram sole wading boots
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »

I too am thinking about moving away from felt. Maybe if rod is gracious to start a product review/preview forum we could channel such topics there. ;D

kalex60

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »

I bought some today trying them tomarrow I will let you know . I have insatllled some hard bite studs in mine

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »

I know that I have been using the korker boot vibram sole since the felt one wore out.
Have never falllen in the past 4 years, up until using these. Started using them and have gone down hard 3 times now while in some sketchy water.
I wouldn't recommend vibram to anyone unless it has studs, and I know I'm getting a new felted pair asap...

Have heard that some vibram is "stickier" than others, but I can't really see much of a difference from one "tread patter" to the next.

Cheers,
Dan

kid fisherman

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »

I had the same problem as Dan and after my first fall that was it. I put the felts back on and have never had a troublem since.

oscar

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »

The screw in metal studs are the ticket....will keep you off your butt.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »

I know that I have been using the korker boot vibram sole since the felt one wore out.
Have never falllen in the past 4 years, up until using these. Started using them and have gone down hard 3 times now while in some sketchy water.
I wouldn't recommend vibram to anyone unless it has studs, and I know I'm getting a new felted pair asap...

Have heard that some vibram is "stickier" than others, but I can't really see much of a difference from one "tread patter" to the next.

Cheers,
Dan
Thanks for the info. My boots are blown out at the seams and I'm in need of a new pair. Been on the fence about felt soles again or vibram.
Will definitely go for felt again but with some studs for muddy trails and banks

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:23 PM »

The star studs or what ever Simms calls them are the best to get. Placement is critical, just think of what areas of the boot is touching the surface that you're walking on. I have 9 or 10 in each boot, with a couple in the arch area for when climbing on tree roots and downed trees.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »

I wouldn't wear Vibrams without studs or cleats.
But once you put them on and maintain them well, they hold well in all terrain.
Star cleats are the best, but expensive.

c-pin

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »

I have 2 pairs of boots. They are both Simms; one has vibram, and the other has felt. I have never had a problem falling or slipping with the vibram. However, I am more cautious when wearing the vibram compared to the felt. If I am doing a lot of walking and hiking, the vobram is the ticket. I find I wear the felt soles more in the winter when steelheading.

I don't think you can get anything as good as felt for it's "stickyness", but the Simms vibrams are a close second.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

kindalonismo

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »

I have a pair of the Vibram's as well and are my only pair of boots.  I find I just have to be cautious with my footing this time of year
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:37:46 AM by kindalonismo »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

I'm on my 3rd pair of Simms guide boots in the last 3 years (plus 2 resoles).

I originally had the felt, then was forced to go to vibrum once Simms discontinued their felt boots. The vibrum when paired up with starbites worked well for the first months or so but after the vibrum got worn in they quickly lost their stickiness. As others have said, they work well for hiking, not so well for wading. I bought a new pair of simms felt soles the second I heard they started making them again.
Actions speak louder than words.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going to go with what I know and stick with the felt. I can get around hiking with felt no problem but I dont want to compromise when it comes to wading.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »

I have the Korkers Redside with the interchangeable soles and they work great for me. Put on the rubbers when I'm trekking in the bush and then change them out for the felts once I get to the river. Quick and easy, and convenient.
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »

I had heard that felt soles can be a bugger in the snow.

They get loaded up with snow and you lose traction.