Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: thompson river camping and fishing  (Read 9230 times)

300zxfairlady

thompson river camping and fishing
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »

Hi everyone, I am planning a trip this weekend to thompson river with my brother. I was thinking of staying at goldpan campsite, does anyone know any information on this camp site? Is it camping trailer only or is tents ok? Also are campfires ok? My brothers just got into fishing and I would love to show him a good time and iv heard thompson has monster trouts. Also are there any other good spots along the thompson that are good fishing spots ? Thanks for any input! I'll be sure to post pictures of our catches!

chief

Re: thompson river camping and fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »

Suggest you stay away from the Thompson just now. River is very high + running fast + dirty + dangerous ! Give it a month or so and fishing  will be OK 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

300zxfairlady

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »

awsome! Thanks for the link, I will still give it a try.. hopefully the campground isnt flooded. Will post results when i get back

norton

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »

I have a suggestion . There's a really nice campsite called skiist just on the other side of lytton, just a few miles west from goldpan
, it's a provincial  site. It's up from the river and far enough away from the highway so it's not to noisey . There's lots of hiking trails there too. I think it's a lot better campsite.

300zxfairlady

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »

I have a suggestion . There's a really nice campsite called skiist just on the other side of lytton, just a few miles west from goldpan
, it's a provincial  site. It's up from the river and far enough away from the highway so it's not to noisey . There's lots of hiking trails there too. I think it's a lot better campsite.

perfect! i was just looking at it on google map and it seemed to host a much larger camp site. I believe i will be headin there instead. Have you fished there before? I am just worried I might be too early to be fishing for rainbows as all the information iv read says good fishing usually starts in mid july.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 06:22:51 AM »

The campground is on the high side of the highway, the day use area on the river side doesn't have river access I believe.

gilbey

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »

perfect! i was just looking at it on google map and it seemed to host a much larger camp site. I believe i will be headin there instead. Have you fished there before? I am just worried I might be too early to be fishing for rainbows as all the information iv read says good fishing usually starts in mid july.

You are right that mid July would be a much better time to fish the big T. A friend of mine was down that way ( in L.A. Lytton area) and said that Frog rock at Nicomen was completly under water and the river was about a foot below the road siding, so shes really running high and fast. To fast and muddy for trout fishing for sure. As for camping try the Cal Woods campsite at Spences Bridge (east side on Hwy 8 to Merritt) it's free, right on the river, however under water at the present time. You could also camp at Martel which is just past Hill Top gardens a few miles north of Spences Bridge. Martel has no offical  govt campsite however people do camp and fish there.

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 07:14:18 AM »

Or camp at Hill Top Gardens campground , flush toilets, hot showers, away from highway and trains, cheap, fruit stand and Mike and Jewel are great people.

River is raging.. try local lakes in area.
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

speycaster

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »

Anyone mucking around the shores of the Thompson right now has a death wish or is trying for a Darwin award.  ;D    I have hung around the T for over forty years and you would not catch me anywhere near it right now.

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »

Anyone mucking around the shores of the Thompson right now has a death wish or is trying for a Darwin award.  ;D    I have hung around the T for over forty years and you would not catch me anywhere near it right now.

My daughter drove down from the interior on Friday and said "frog rock" was completely covered....that's a lot of water.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »

My daughter drove down from the interior on Friday and said "frog rock" was completely covered....that's a lot of water.

The top of its head is nearly level with the hwy IIRC; road closures?
A rig out of water catches no fish.

300zxfairlady

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 01:34:21 AM »

well.. back from the camp trip. Goldpan was flooded, and shiksa campsite was not near the water. We ended up camping up further near juniper beach. for the first day
Caught 2 trout at goldpan. Water was very fast and dirty

Also landed 4 massive largescale suckers just before sunset

Next day, we drove into kamloops, hoping to fish kamloops lake.. however that was filled with logs and was flooded bigtime aswell.
We continued onto Tunka lake apparently known for its amazing rainbow trout fishing, however just our luck, as we paid for our campsite, it started thunder showering so there was no way we were ganna stick around. we got our money back and headed down the coquihala highway.
We decided to make a quick stop at Wolloper lake, just as we got there, there the clouds started to thin out and the fish were going insane!
I quickly casted out and within a couple seconds had a nice 5 lber on.. it broke off my lure unfortunatly and made a couple ariel jumps.
we fished a little more and caught 3 12"ers and a nice 15".

We wanted to stay there the night but overnight camping was not permited so we drove to merrit and stayed at the monck campsite, I did not have any information on fishing this lake, so i tried a little bit of everything.. we managed to catch 20+ NP minnows on worms, jigs, lures, etc. I guess we werent fishing deep enough for trout. However that was very fun on light tackle.

Thanks again for the rising water warning but it was a still a great trip overall!

by the way I found a video of how much water is actually coming out of the thompson into the fraser.. over 200 million gallons per minute!!!! ridiculous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8CRwKPl2NQ&feature=related
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:37:43 AM by 300zxfairlady »

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »

Finally got some photos of the water levels at Frog Rock, with a reference photo from earlier in the year.

March 2012

July 2012