Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing with kayaks gaining popularity ???  (Read 9221 times)

Kenwee

Re: Fishing with kayaks gaining popularity ???
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 10:22:35 PM »

Check ut Outdoorplay in Oregon. They have lots of fishing Kayak. YOu should buy a sit on top or SOT.
I have an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and its a great boat. I use it on Mike Lake , Rolley and Weaver Lake.
Much better than using a tube.

doja

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 02:11:28 AM »

Westeren is probably the best for the area as far as prices and selection. Bought mine there. Look out for sales and deals as they often advertise in craigst list with sales and on there site.... Some times are definitely better than others like the fall, now not so much, maybe more in the spring...

However if you go to the states they are much cheaper used with far more selection due to more kayak fishesr down there. The guy who rescued the dog is part of the larger community that resides just south of the boarder.

Great boats for sure. 8) Even heard of white water kayakers using the tarpons (10') for rivers... I'm also thinking this thought, LOL, just imagine the spots on the river you can get to!

Which boat are you looking at??? I got the tarpon 14'.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 06:41:24 AM »

Take a look here for another local kayak retailer: http://skyview.myshopify.com/pages/watersports

Located in Surrey near the Skytrain bridge to New West.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »

--The kayak I have ordered is a freedomhawk.
--It looks interesting... but I have not tried one yet so really cannot comment on the quality or if it will work well for fishing here. 
--If it works out to be a good boat I will be Rep for it.  I should have a boat on hand in a couple of weeks for testing.   

fishgutz63

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »

check out nucanoe on google great little watercraft for the price  :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 08:04:59 AM »

Nucanoe looks great I wouldn't mind one. I've kayaked for over 30 years and one thing I don't like about them is you can get a sore back from too much paddling.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 10:21:40 AM »

Those Hobie kayaks with the pedals look interesting as well.  Seems like it would be easier on the body then paddling all day.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 10:22:22 AM »

Im liking that pedal option.
Would i ever go in one.
Not a chance. :D

Kenwee

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »

I think it's easier to steer with a pedal than the foot pedals. I use a single paddle, this way I do not get water dripping on to my legs and my body. My Ocean Kayak Trident 13 is an excellent fishing boat. There is a new model out that has more storage space in the rear and a water proof compartment in the front, it is a much improved model to the one I have. If anyone is interested in an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 mine is available for sale a a reduced price, it is in mint condition.

Baysel

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »

Wow, aweosme, there are people kayak fishing here! I work at Western Canoeing and Kayaking in Abbotsford, so I may be biased but my answer would be YES, WCK is the best place to buy your fishing kayak  ;D.

Seriously though this sport has taken off huge, in a  year or two it will likely be the biggest part of our sales at WCK. I have used several of the boats now including the Pro-Angler by Hobbie, my favourite so far. For those unfamiliar with Hobbie Kayaks they have developed a hands free pedal drive system that is amazing. It is 2-3 times as efficient as paddling and best of all leaves you hands free for more important things, like fishing. Jackson Kayaks is the other big but newer player in the kayak fishing world, they actually make some boats designed for fishing on mild rivers and streams, these boats are capable of paddling some class 4 whitewater in the right hands.

Also, lots of talk here about sitting in or on top of these boats, as well as lack of stability?? Not the case anymore, both Hobbie and Jackson kayaks make boats that you are able to stand in, and you don't have to be a ballerina to stand in them either. I put 100's of first timers in boats everyear and I can tell you these things are a lot more stable than your old canoe was ;D.

Check out Hobbies fishing section here and look for the video for the hands free "mirage Drive": http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/

Check out Jackson Kayaks fishing department here, they make awesome videos of their products: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1nq7m97lo

WCK has a full selection of demo fishing kayaks, if anyone is willing to show a rookie some tips I would me more than happy to bring out some fishing kayaks sometime. Im a certified instructor for kayaking but not the most experienced fisherman . . . yet!

Here is a trip report from one of my first yak fishing trips this fall on the Harrison River: http://westerncanoekayak.blogspot.com/2011/10/hobie-pro-angler-review.html

Getting seriously stoked to do some fishing!

Kenwee

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »

Just checked out the Coosa and the Cuda and spoke with someone at WCK will go see them next week. These kayaks sound interesting. Much improved over the Trident 13 fishing kayak I have, but much heavier too, could be a problem loading on to a truck.

Baysel

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »

Kenwee, the new boats have come a long way. Possibly my favorite thing about both the Jackson Coosa and Cuda are the adjustable seating positions, you have a lower seat position for more stability while trolling or getting to and from your spot and also a higher position to make casting easier. Both these models have flat areas to stand as well should you hook that big one.

Where do you live? Mill Lake is only 5 minutes from the store, we should take both the Coosa and the Cuda down for a test float some day, (seems like as good a reasona s any to miss some work) The Cuda is a good amount faster but wont handle rougher water like the lower Chilliwack or Chehalis as well as the Coosa.

As for the weight I don't think you will find the difference to be that noticeable, some companies are more honest with their weights than others, almost every boat in the store is a couple pounds over. There are lots of rack accessories to make loading and unloading easier, also lot of people have started to use little trailers so they can carry more boats and load/unload easier.

Here is our full list of fishing kayaks, couple new 2012 models haven't made it on yet: http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/fishing_kayaks.php?PHPSESSID=d73de297b71be6942a4ee998a076e467

Kenwee

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »

Thank you Baysel..... in fact I was just at WCK and looked at the Coosa and the Cuda. I think they are very practical boats for fishing. Will need to test out the Coosa sometime in Spring and will decide if I should get it and sell my Trident 13.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »

I spent has July in Africa & Mosembique, lots of fishing kyaks, in fact the majority of white folks use them as they are easy to pack around. The road are not good for towing boats so fishing kyaks are very popular. I met people who had 2 or 3 of them for different conditions. I watched one fellow fishing the surf for baracuda, very stable boats, he caught a 4 ft long baracuda in big waves and had no issues.