Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing with kayaks gaining popularity ???  (Read 9220 times)

arimaBOATER

Fishing with kayaks gaining popularity ???
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

Seen a vid the other day of a guy in his kayak who jumped into the water to swim behind a HUGE non aggressive shark. (something like a whale shark which do not attack humans)....but it got me thinking about kayaks ...

Have seen kayaks in Steveston Harbour...sometimes even in the Fraser R on a slack tide.
(there is a rental kayak/bike place in Steveston)  
A life jacket or floatation device is a must as these little boats are not big...I'd imagine as tippy or more so than a canoe (???)

Alot of people are using these little boats for fresh & salt water areas ...& people are catching "big fish". Have to be very organized PLUS very careful of the marine weather & even a BIGGER CONCERN of other larger racing motorboats.  

My guess they are perfect for a smaller lake that one has to carry it 1/4 mile down some rough trail.  Troll ...jig...get to certain shores then one can fly fish..cast..float...FOR THE SALT guys & dolls MUST BE A HEART RACER IF ONE TAGS INTO A 20LB SALMON !!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:22:11 AM by A-BOATER »

doja

Re: Fishing with kayaks gaining popularity ???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »

The kayak you saw in the video is a SOT (not sit-in) and very stable and able to handle ruff waters well. I know... I have one and have been in open waters of the west coast of vancouver island fishing for halibut.

great boats, I like them.

Sit ins are more tipsy and open to flooding the cockpit and meant for speed and distance.

SOT's are meant for fishing, diving, and similar things.

I've had large sea lions surface very close to me and it is a thrill!!! very cool.

Best part is no need for a  boat launch!!!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:18:56 PM by doja »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »

Who would think ya could buy a very in-expensive kayak & fish off the west coast of Vancouver Is & go after halibuts which I guess avg. in the 25-50 lb range generally speaking. That must be a RUSH for sure.
Shows the range of use one can use these boats.
Sounds like fun. (thanks for the info about the product...sit ins/non sit ins..stable crafts etc...)
Anything is a risk when doing outdr activities thus one has to use good judgement & know your personal limits via one's skills.
A few yrs ago two kayakers died (1 or 2 ???) in Howe Sound as they got caught in some heavy winds & huge breaking waves...
Personally they look like fun little boats...& would be just super on some small lake that is teaming with fish.
Sitting in or on one must be kinda like an yoga exercise ;D...good arm muscle tone (paddle)

colin6101

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »

I have fished out of my sit in kayak for years and have never even been close to flipping when fishing. I've had it off Quadra Island, fished the Fraser, Stave, Harrison and Lower Vedder without many difficulties. They do definitely take a while to get used to and fighting large fish can be an adventure for sure! If you do decide to try kayak fishing, I would suggest taking it out on a lake on a sunny day and purposely flipping it to make sure that you can self rescue if things go sour on you while fishing. After you are comfortable with lake fishing try some sloughs and slower rivers out. I have a blast fishing for chum out of my kayak but wouldn't ever recommend trying that out until you are quite comfortable with your kayak.

roeman

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:20:57 PM »

WFN (channel 152 ) is free for March.
Seen guys fsihing tarpon, huge jumps ten feet from the boat. Looks like allot of fun but I will stick with a boat that has a motor.
Are you fishin or catchin

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:50:51 PM »

Seen guys fsihing tarpon, huge jumps ten feet from the boat. Looks like allot of fun but I will stick with a boat that has a motor.

wish i knew that channel was free sooner  :o
as for fishing in a kayak i can see it being nice on a nice calm day just trolling a fly around a small lake
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »

http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/commander_12_angler.php

I spent quite a bit of time talking to the Western sales rep at the Outdoors show about this fishing kayak which he uses it himself. Very interested in it for the inshore coho and cutthroat fishing that I do.

bluesteele

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 06:55:59 PM »

One of my favourite spots to fish....

http://www.kayakanglermag.com/features/661-bajas-beauties-la-paz-and-isla-espiritu-santo.html

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/community/trip-kayak-fishing-reports/1156-trip-report-la-paz-baja.html   (some good pics here)

The Sea of Cortez and espiritu is breathtaking...... trips are cheap too.

Just have to find the cheap flights online. Book a kayak fishing adventure through one of the outfitters and
wait for the thrill of warmwater fishing. Think of a big springers on steroids,  ;D

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »

Watched a video the other day. A guy in a sea kayak fishing blue marlin, hooked on to one and it towed him 11 or 12 miles off shore from where he started. I think it took him 8 or 10 hours to get it in but he landed the SOB, with some help from his buddy in another kayak, it was kewl !!!  :o

brownmancheng

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 11:11:12 AM »

That is a long paddle back with some soar arms

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »

It's April and I am still watching WFN for free.
Hope this free service continues for another month as I have started to enjoy being an arm chair fisherman. ;D

TyCrane

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »

looks like i can add a kayak to the list of fishing related stuff i want
too bad the list keeps growing faster than i can afford to check stuff off

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »

Did some searching and found this...

http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/boats/pro-angler/

US retail is over 2K.  Nice but not THAT nice. 

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »

--Is westerncanoeing & kayaking the best place to get fishing kayaks or do some of the fishing stores carry them?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »

In Kijiji Vancouver.....Boats for Sale ..has a 17ft Sea Kayak for sale. $1400 OBO
It's located in Calgary though.
It was purchased new in 2011...includes adj spray skirt
2 fiberglas shaft paddles
Saddle style roof rack

Have not a clue if this is a good deal or make...
OBO sujj maybe $200-$300 shaved off the asking price...ya know when people who want to sell something many just want to get rid of it...no more phone calls etc....
Notice before it's sold...a nice friendly voice ...says "Yes it is still available " ( lucky you!)
After it's sold & ya call ..." Sorry it's sold" click!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D