Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: herring fishing question  (Read 9251 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: herring pic?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 09:41:03 PM »

Doesn't a herring usually come packed in a pickel jar with onions and garlic?  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: herring fishing question
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »

For those who are interested in heading down there to catch some, please note...

You cannot use more than two hooks on your line in the tidal portion of the Fraser River, even if you are targeting herring.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area29_e.htm

It is prohibited to use more than one line when sport fishing in the tidal waters of the Fraser River. While only one line per angler may be used, gear designed to catch a maximum of two fish at one time (bar rig) is permitted in this area, provided that two single barbless hooks are being used.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
herring
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 08:17:35 PM »

in the tidal regs its too bad they don' t make reference on page 23 to the fact that the herring regs for tidal area 29 are different when fishing in the fraser river tidal boundaries.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:22:06 PM by fishingbuddha »
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »

Yes you can indeed, but there is no definition on a herring jig ie. the number of hooks. The two hooks regulation in the Tidal Fraser River would still apply when fishing within this boundary.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
enlarged pic of herring/shad?
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »

herring or shad. hopefully this will be a bigger picture.

I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: enlarged pic of herring/shad?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »

Hmmm...

Bear in mind this illustration shows exactly what an American  Shad should look like but like humans they're all different.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:49:40 PM by Sam Salmon »

fishyfish711

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »

I could be wrong but that sure does look more like a herring.

fishyfish711

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »

Hope this works first time posting a pic. herring.

gman

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »

The ones I saw at the Steveston dock were all usual herring sized. I think shad are bigger according to what I read.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »

herring or shad. hopefully this will be a bigger picture.

Looks like a herring to me.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »

VANCOUVER - Silvery hordes of Pacific herring, one of the key indicator species for the health of intertidal habitats, have begun spawning again along the once-toxic shoreline of south-east False Creek.

John Harper, marine scientists who is assessing the shoreline modification program constructed in front of the athlete's village site, found the evidence at low tide last Monday.

"We stumbled across it about 3 p.m.," he said. "There is an incredible herring spawn on this shoreline. It was every place. It seemed to coincide with their (city of Vancouver) habitat restoration and shoreline rehabilitation.

"My guess is that there was a kilometre of spawn," said the scientist.

"This is a really good news story. What an incredible event."

Harper said that when he examined federal department of fisheries and oceans records available online, he could find no official record of similar spawns, at least not in the modern era.

Although there was once an extensive herring fishery in the waters immediately around Vancouver supplying smoked kippers, over the past century, False Creek's shoreline was extensively modified with landfill and industrial development which left toxic contaminants in soil and sediments.

The herring departed, so evidence that they are returning to a site of artificially-restored habitat is a major environmental success story.

Pacific herring deposit their jelly-like spawn in shallow water and it often sticks to seaweed and kelp fronds. That's precisely where Harper found it, clinging to seaweed which had grown on the rocks and gravel of an artificial island built under the federal governmentıs ³no net loss² policy for development which interfered with habitat.

"This habitat was all created as part of the shoreline restoration and waterfront walk development," Harper said. "Part of the development was creation of a habitat island." The small island, roughly the size of four tennis courts, was constructed as compensation for changes to the foreshore made during the cityıs remediation program for the terrestrial landscape said Robin Petri, a city engineer and manager of the project. She said development began in 2005. Part of the rehabilitation work involved changes to a shoreline that had already been ³totally modified² by historic development.

So the city built a long narrow tidal island at the end of a constructed wetland that treats storm runoff from the adjacent remediated lands. It becomes an island only at the highest of high tide. Apparently, it established a stretch of viable new habitat for marine life.

Harper says he was checking out the island when he spotted what looked like herring spawn on the first little spur of exposed beach that he saw.

"None of this shoreline existed a couple of years ago," he said. "The seaweed got onto the rocks and established itself and then the herrring came to spawn on it. A kilometre of spawn is pretty good.² Herring comprise one of the most important food fishes, both for humans and for many animal species including salmon, sea lions, seals, porpoises, eagles, gulls, mergansers, cormorants and other diving birds.

During the annual March spawning along the east coast of Vancouver Island, almost 100,000 marine birds were counted in less than one kilometre of coastline by one wildlife biologist.

Herring roe on kelp fronds was and remains a traditional delicacy for first nations along the coast and there is a commercial fishery for Pacific herring roe, which is a high-priced commodity in Japan where it is typically

used in making sushi or as an appetizer and is also eaten as roe-on-kelp.

shume@islandnet.com

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »

I posted about this on the Vancouver Sun site not sure if it took or not.

There's always been all kinds of bait around Vancouver and gravid Herring in False Creek are nothing new.

Bait balls of Herring being dive bombed by Gulls in the creek are not unusual and large bait balls being skimmed by Eagles happen in English Bay-just like other parts of BC.

Nature here is wounded but not dead.

I suspect this scientist was set up by people looking for Good News about the whole Olympic Village scandal/boondoggle if he did his research he'd find that out and no doubt be embarrassed.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »

Finally had a look at these fish myself today. It only took one glance, they are herring, no doubt about it.