Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeking Info: Weekend Chum Fishing  (Read 7069 times)

Kever

Seeking Info: Weekend Chum Fishing
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »

I'd like to take the girlfriend out Chum fishing this weekend, she's a beginner. She really enjoyed the 10+ fish days of pink fishing this summer and I'd like to get her into so bigger fish. I'm thinking Squamish or Stave, as Stave is usually a safe bet for fish in late October but is crowded. Anyone had much luck for Chum in Squamish?

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Seeking Info: Weekend Chum Fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »

In years past, Squamish was THE place to fish for chum salmon. Fresh, almost chrome fish straight from the ocean were the norm.
Sadly, this fishery declined severely in the last few years.

If you decide to go to the Squamish, bear in mind there is a bait ban and NO retention of chum salmon. It's what keeps the harvesting crowds away and allows for a more peaceful fishing experience.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »

Stave has Chum, though not many fresh ones last weekend. It will be extremely busy from shore, so it might not be the best "experience".
The big benefit of the Stave is that it is fishable during and after a heavy rain. Squamish blows out easily, especially when the weather is warm like now.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »

Sorry for the thread drift.  Is there action to be had from a boat, perhaps at the mouth of the Stave or Kanaka Creek type of areas?  I've never tried this before, but I just found a minty fresh, yet dirt cheap, 30hp yammy on craigslist that I just slapped on to the back of my 14' tinny.  I'm itching to take it out for a rip...

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »

Forget about the Squamish as it is running mud from the weekend rain. Due to the very large forest fire in the Elaho this summer the Squamish jumps to a very high flood stage after each rain as there is minimal water retention in the upper watershed.

Don't expect much for chum this year as the return is off of one of the worst brood years in 20+ years along with the fact that they commercial fish these fish in the mixed stock Johnstone straight fishery. The chum returns up here are just a shadow of their former self.

Kever

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:56:09 PM »

Thanks all for the info. Lately I've been hearing a lot about of poor returns, severely declining fish stocks, and degrading ocean conditions globally. I wonder if it's just this year or if this will become a trend. I might head further into the valley and combine a camping/fishing trip instead. Thanks.

fishfulangler

• Reel that sucker in!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »

Hey there. I have fished the stave last year and found a spot with little to no people there and the chum ain't rotten. I have caught about 6 chum last year in 3 outings. So this spot works! Pm me if you would like to know more about where it is.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »

Spot..
GONE!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »

Sorry for the thread drift.  Is there action to be had from a boat, perhaps at the mouth of the Stave or Kanaka Creek type of areas?  I've never tried this before, but I just found a minty fresh, yet dirt cheap, 30hp yammy on craigslist that I just slapped on to the back of my 14' tinny.  I'm itching to take it out for a rip...

Stave is great by boat, just don't go too far up as it gets shallow.

Do not fish Kanaka creek as it is closed until November 1st.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »

Hey there. I have fished the stave last year and found a spot with little to no people there and the chum ain't rotten. I have caught about 6 chum last year in 3 outings. So this spot works! Pm me if you would like to know more about where it is.

Yeah don't be giving that info out. Please.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »

Lately I've been hearing a lot about of poor returns, severely declining fish stocks, and degrading ocean conditions globally. I wonder if it's just this year or if this will become a trend.

Only time will tell, but I'm sure it is coinciding with the El Niņo this year.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 05:24:44 PM »

6 fish in 3 outings ....... 8)

eager_rookie

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 05:28:41 PM »

6 fish in 3 outings ....... 8)

Yeah, you're gonna be able to pick up that many fish or more pretty much anywhere on the stave.

Where do people launch for the Stave?

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »

Forget about the Squamish as it is running mud from the weekend rain. Due to the very large forest fire in the Elaho this summer the Squamish jumps to a very high flood stage after each rain as there is minimal water retention in the upper watershed.

Don't expect much for chum this year as the return is off of one of the worst brood years in 20+ years along with the fact that they commercial fish these fish in the mixed stock Johnstone straight fishery. The chum returns up here are just a shadow of their former self.
Thanks for this.   I wondered why the Squamish was not in great shape this year.   Saves me a trip :)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »