Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stranded  (Read 5636 times)

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
Re: Stranded
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 08:59:45 PM »

most important, listen to your instinct...if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. even you see other guys crossing successfully.

very good advice, especially to those new to wading.
A swung fly is the best fly.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »

Grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. Be careful out there.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »

and dont cross if it isnt fully light out, boxing day so two guys almost go for a swim when the crossed and stumbled in deep fast water luckily the one guy saved the other. also if where you crossed is a bit of a walk back make sure you have time to get there before its to dark, never fun crossing even side channels in the dark, that waters damn cold.

when i cross the upper river i usually look for a spot where the rivers split into a couple sections as theres less water in the sections making it an easier crossing, or atleast ive found that.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

silex64

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »

Grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. Be careful out there.
[/quote you are correct usualy once you get on the other side it dont look so good and you must turn around come back. thats when most get scared and cupcakes happens. seen it many times.

DRP79

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 11:19:33 PM »

Next item on the shopping list, wading belt. The belt on my waders doesn't get super tight. I don't take chances out there though, my comfort level drops when the water gets up near crotch level, so I stop.  I also got a nice PFD for Xmas but I haven't taken it out yet.

Copper Koski

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 06:01:18 AM »

Loose gravel can also be very dangerous. Doesent matter how stong of a wader you are . If your footing washes out from under you, there is no holding your ground.