Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stranded  (Read 5637 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Stranded
« on: January 06, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »

Just a reminder to be careful when out fishing and wading our rivers as a very experienced fisher got in a bit of a tough spot on the Vedder this afternoon. Assistance had been phoned for with help on the way but a member of this forum got there first to lend a hand getting him off an island he had waded to and was having difficulty getting back.

No fish is worth taking a chance in trying to over wade to that hot spot.

James

Re: Stranded
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »

Good advice ... the water always looks "easier/safer" when you getting to that far out rock , but when you turn around to head to shore , it can look a whole lot different from your new point of view of the same water .

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »

carefull crossing/wading when its raining heavy. in salmon season i crossed the rier to get away from the crowds and to get some better water but didnt think about at the time how much it was startin to rain. couple hours later the river was up a good 6" with not great vis. was definatly alot harder scarier cross back. also a good idea to use a nice big stick when crossing to get you something to wedge in the rocks for support.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

opwins

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »

Great Reminder, I always try to keep it within reason when Im out on my own.  I prefer wading the water with a buddy regardless Glad to hear that everything worked out and everyone is Safe!

Animal Chin

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:11:07 PM »

Well timed thread. I turned back a couple of times today even though I was pretty sure I could make it across, but I was by myself. Is there a certain technique to it?

Like try to wade upstream? Any pointers would be appreciated as it is my first year on the river wading ... finally got some proper wading boots today. Thanks in advance.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »

Well timed thread. I turned back a couple of times today even though I was pretty sure I could make it across, but I was by myself. Is there a certain technique to it?

Like try to wade upstream? Any pointers would be appreciated as it is my first year on the river wading ... finally got some proper wading boots today. Thanks in advance.

This is the best material ever written on the subject. Read it carefully and remember it:

A number of years ago there was a run on the upper Vedder we called the white fish run. There was a group of guys crossing into a side channel. River was flowing with them for the crossing. Big angle down stream. No problem, except they left a buddy behind. He got out into the current, without a wading staff and it was clear he was in trouble. His buddies weren't paying attention to him so didn't notice. I hadn't crossed yet and hadn't planned to, but I realised this guy was starting to panic. He turned and looked up to me and I gave him the arms crossed over my head signal. He held his position while I went and got a green maple that I turned into a wading staff. Once I got out to him he was shaking like a leaf and balling. I told him it was going to be ok and took the up stream side of him. My downstream arm across his shoulder with a firm grip on his shoulder. We stood there for a while till he calmed down. Then I got him to wash his face in that icy late winter water. Arms locked at the shoulders we took small steps. In the end it wasn't a big deal but he had learned a lesson. i talked to his buddies who were still clued out. Anyways, we caught quite a few steelhead that day between us all (pinning bait and blades) and I took him and his buddies back across, to show them how it was done. Of course the way back was a high angle up stream slog, with rising water. He was confident and ok though, me on the upstream side, and all was just fine.

Rule: strong wader on the up stream side, arms linked across the shoulders firmly grasping shoulders or arms or low on the waist, with the idea that if one guy slips the other can hold him without getting blown over. Two men linked this way can cross really insane water, three or more gets you into some unfished water.

Rule: always try to go with the current, no stopping and turning around. Expect to get wet, make sure you can drop gear from your body or hands from the down stream side. Wading Staff on the up stream side of the up stream wader, down stream of the down stream guy. Wear a tight fitting wading belt. Place the wading staff, take step with up stream leg. Check footing, move downstream leg into the lee of up stream leg. Check footing, Move staff. repeat.

Rule: learn what cold water response is, always wash your face with the water before making a crossing.

Rule; never, cross above log jams or other obstructions like sweepers etc. Pick tail outs in deeper water that is moving slower than the fast riffle water, take high angle routes downstream rather than trying to cross 90 degrees. Choose your route and expected landing point, making sure you have lots of room for a long down stream slog. Make sure you can make a similar high angle crossing back, going with the current rather than against it. beware of landings near cut banks, as the water tends to be deeper against a cut or high bank.

If you go down, dont panic. Its only water. Drop gear, drop vests, packs etc. Try to get your feet pointing down stream and get on your back if you can, or try to swim with the current downstream but try getting to the side as you are moving down stream. If you go under try to relax and breath when you can. Dont panic.

As you can guess I have done my share of crossings, many of them ending up wet while taking calculated risks. Planning and prep is the key here. Though over confidence is dangerous too.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »

I think I say this in every thread that's brought up about this. If you are in decent shape, take a swiftwater rescue course, it will run you about $400 through a school like raven rescue, but you will learn what to do and what not to do, and how to save someone who's lost control of their situation. It, still should not make you feel like you're superman, but it will give you the insights of what you should be looking for, practicing the skills in a controlled environment.

Plus, it is just A LOT of fun. They run courses on both the chilliwack and mamaquam rivers.

floatfisher

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »

Most important thing no matter what when wading is to have a wading belt on and to have it TIGHT.

brysonk

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »

I know this has been mentioned but never forget to plan your wade back! If you can't see a safe path back don't risk it. I have to remind myself of this often.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »

These days I don't take a risk wading across, unless I have a Green Giant on my side. Milo saved mi skinny my friend more than once on the flow. 8)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »

A wading belt will save your life!!! Cant be said enough!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »

Good stuff Milo and others, thanks for posting this valuable information for all that river fish. We all need to be reminded of these tips every once and a while. Good and safe fishing this weekend, some nice steelhead to be caught. I saw some taken today but they were not on my line but I got to take some pictures with other's cameras. ;D ::)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »

couple things that I do to ensure my safety are: cinch my wading belt tight, fold my G3's down and do the shoulder straps around my waist. My rule of thumb is that if the water is deeper than my waist I will not wade it and wearing my waders like pants keeps me from doing that, its also more comfortable. Lastly I buckle on my Oryx PFD around my waist which gives me a little more peace of mind, cost me $90 and could be invaluable one day if I take a spill.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »

Lastly I buckle on my Oryx PFD around my waist which gives me a little more peace of mind, cost me $90 and could be invaluable one day if I take a spill.

Respectfully, it's not a matter of "if", but "when".
Good on you to take precautions.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »

most important, listen to your instinct...if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. even you see other guys crossing successfully.