Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pinks on the Chilliwack????  (Read 4369 times)

nevertoolate

pinks on the Chilliwack????
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:42:01 AM »

Fished there yesterday.  Hundreds  of pinks swimming by.  No interest in any of my flies.  Have they stopped feeding on their way up the river?  Is there a time of day when they would be interested?   No interest from any other species either.   Advice on this would be appreciated.   Might as well have been no fish there at all.  I partially snagged one but thats no fun.  Drift fishers seemed to be catching a few

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: pinks on the Chilliwack????
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 02:11:51 PM »

Take care to make sure you are getting your presentation down to the fish.  The first few hours I fished the canal, I was getting nothing on the fly even after changing up through different sizes and colours.  This was using a full floating line and a slow sink tip.  It was only until i put a full sink tip on (6 ips) that I caught fish and a lot of them.  Previously i was not getting down enough, even though the water looked fairly slow. 

Care was needed to balance depth to prevent dredging the bottom and snagging fish, but once you get the right combination of sink rate, casting at different angles across the flow and strip rate you should be able to get into them.  Fly in my experience usually outperforms gear.  Also try chartreuse. They tend to be more interested early morning and evening once the sun is off the water.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 02:40:42 PM »

Have they stopped feeding on their way up the river?

Yes they have stopped actively feeding by then. When they do bite, it is presumed you are triggering an aggressive/territorial response, or maybe even some latent feeding instinct, I've heard speculated. Whichever it is, sometimes they just arent in the mood to play along. If they are there literally in the hundreds, then it's fair to expect at least some of them would be active and its probably something not quite right with your presentation, as Knnn suggests.

Also if you can see them, they can probably see you and might be a bit spooked by your presence.

nevertoolate

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 04:20:39 PM »

thanks.  Going to try again tomorrow.  I will try deep at the canal.  What about trying deep pools higher up?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 08:25:59 PM »

Tons of fish today, sparse pink weighted flies on a float line for me. Green worked last week.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:03:46 PM »

^^^^^ where's the LIKE button !!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »

Looks flossed.. ;D

Yeah I see some leader stuck between the teeth, my dentist would be proud.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 11:24:45 PM »

Lots and lots of pinks in the canal today, too many to count.  Green out performed pink for me.