Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River summer salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 34258 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Went there, couldn't find a rock.
Gotta change the name of that spot.....

I hope you're joking? The old limit hole has been no fishing for years now.

grayman

I hope you're joking? The old limit hole has been no fishing for years now.

Where is this?

typhoon

• Old Timer

Limit Hole is where Slesse Creek meets the Chilliwack that used to be the fishing boundary.
It is the junction of three arms where salmon stage before moving up to the hatchery or into the canyon.
It's also a congregation point for snaggers so it was closed a few years back.
The new fishing boundary is a few 100m below Limit Hole.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

I was joking.
Some folk tend to give out GPS coodinates in order to be a hero to all thier internet friends and foes..
I was making  light of the comment....

SilverChaser

Well as of this morning, seen 5 springs hooked in the spot i've been fishing lately. 4 of which were bonked. None by me however  ;D
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

grayman

Limit Hole is where Slesse Creek meets the Chilliwack that used to be the fishing boundary.
It is the junction of three arms where salmon stage before moving up to the hatchery or into the canyon.
It's also a congregation point for snaggers so it was closed a few years back.
The new fishing boundary is a few 100m below Limit Hole.

Thank you.

I was joking.
Some folk tend to give out GPS coodinates in order to be a hero to all thier internet friends and foes..
I was making  light of the comment....

Meh.  I can understand why people guard their "secret" fishing spots.  I can also appreciate the concept of "go out & explore."

However, it is extremely helpful when someone gives you an area to start exploring from.  Especially to new anglers such as myself when I don't have a fishing "mentor" so to speak.

Well as of this morning, seen 5 springs hooked in the spot i've been fishing lately. 4 of which were bonked. None by me however  ;D

Lower, mid or upper?  I only ask because I've been out there twice in the last 2 weeks and I've only seen 1 school and 1 salmon jump.  I plan on heading out again this weekend and I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me where to concentrate my efforts.

Drewhill

I think a lot of people are heading out this weekend so not sure you're going to find too many willing to help you out with that one. And if they are, they are most likely not telling the truth to keep you away from their spot. They could be anywhere in the river this time of season.

I've been out a lot this week and it's been very slow. Don't think I'm going to bother this weekend.

grayman

I think a lot of people are heading out this weekend so not sure you're going to find too many willing to help you out with that one.

I can understand and appreciate that.

And if they are, they are most likely not telling the truth to keep you away from their spot.

If they want to keep their spots a secret, that's cool.  The lying part would be what I don't appreciate because it causes people to waste their time unnecessary.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

I think a lot of people are heading out this weekend so not sure you're going to find too many willing to help you out with that one. And if they are, they are most likely not telling the truth to keep you away from their spot. They could be anywhere in the river this time of season.

I've been out a lot this week and it's been very slow. Don't think I'm going to bother this weekend.

lol... So I guess fishing has been hot this week and drewhill is going tomorrow.

Internet reports are just that... internet reports.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

The truth is, the fish need to travel up the whole river. Drop into a spot, and start picking your way down the river until your feet get tired. Then fish the fishy spots on the way back up. Chinook like to hold in deep slots. First light is best. I'm out there literally as soon as I can see my float (legal hours)

grayman

lol... So I guess fishing has been hot this week and drewhill is going tomorrow.

Internet reports are just that... internet reports.

Fair enough.  But there are some posters that have built a credible reputation on this forum.

Ambassador

I've been out three times this year without any guides or help - and yeah - you really do just need to go out and explore as it is an incredibly diverse river with many different areas and types of water - most of which are easily accessible. Easy to find a solitary spot if you put in a few minutes of walking.

Drive the road - pull over and park if you see any trails leading towards the river - and head on down. No Spring action for anyone the days I have been out (Unlike SilverChaser - I'd like to know his spot ;-) )but have seen a number of nice schools of tight-lipped Sockeye jumping around. Seems a good year for them. I'll be out again Saturday morning - hoping but not expecting to catch - but happy I get to be out on that beauty of a river another day.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

SilverChaser

Upper  ;D I find that there is not too many great holding areas in the lower since the blowouts last season (My opinion) and I haven't explored much of the middle to be honest. Like Ambassador said, find trails and walk into new spots. You never know what you'll find. Just be careful!

Another tip is fish water that you know they will hold in and have to push through. Good luck!  :)

SilverChaser

Just heard from my brother that CO had a guy at Prison run around 5:00 this afternoon, then 5 minutes later down the road two more CO's came rushing up. Anyone know what happened?

grayman

Just heard from my brother that CO had a guy at Prison run around 5:00 this afternoon, then 5 minutes later down the road two more CO's came rushing up. Anyone know what happened?

The first CO probably had issues with the guy that was detained.  If you see law enforcement run one way, it is never a good thing.  Running with 30lbs of gear and a bulletproof vest in 30 degree weather sucks.