Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River summer salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 34255 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

is that a gillnetted sockeye? Too bad if the net brigades target the socx on the Vedder. There seems to be quite a few sockeyes on the river on Thursday. Found no spring but did hook into 3 sockeyes and saw quite few caught and released promptly. No one had a spring where I was in the lower. River was low and clear.

wizard

came across a huge birds nest of 40 lb test on the shoreline couple days ago.  Just a reminder to people to clean up after yourselves and unfortunately after others as well.  Line on the shore line like that is a big problem as it inevitably get caught in shorebirds feet or end up in the water and get wrapped up around fish.

I have seen a Great Blue Heron hanging dead from it's feet in the lower years ago. Poor thing had line wrapped in it's feet, and the line snagged on the branch it was perched in.  Must have been a horrible way to go for that bird...just be mindful and clean up after yourselves and if you see line laying on the shore take it out with you.

clarkii

• Old Timer

Saw this on Instagram.

Tracked down the actual post.  Not sure who runs the instagram for that bottom comment, but maybe they should have clarified.

SilverChaser

@Steelhawk I have no idea but I would probably assume so. Who knows what truly happened but its unfortunate.

@Wizard You nailed it man. Pack it in, pack it out.

@Clarkii Yea, on Instagram, accounts like that are all about promoting their page and don't actually view the content on which they comment on. Its a marketing strategy.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

grayman

I was out on the lower yesterday with two of my buddies, (0630-1200), water condition was low and clear.  Didn't catch any salmon but we did manage to connect with some rainbows.  However, I did see one big fish jump about 75m downstream from where I was.  Too far to identify, but judging from the size, maybe a Chinook.

NothingToSnagAbout

How big do the sockeyes get?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

How big do the sockeyes get?

Most of the fish which I've seen are in the 3 to 4lb range, quite small. Occasionally you'll see a bigger fish at 5 or 6lb.

losos

Last weekend my friend got sockeye that was definitely 8-9 lb.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Fished the upper yesterday from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm...saw lots of sockeye rolling. Hooked 1 spring and lost it. Fished the mid and upper river from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm today and it was all rainbows and sockeyes. I did see 2 springs moving but no dice... :-\

Archer

I am going to try my luck on Friday. I usually start at peach, then move about.  I am new to summer on the Vedder, just fished winter steel in the past...never caught any. Can I use my steel tackle to target Nooks? IE: gooey Bob's, pink worms, Colorado blades, Croc spoons and red wool?  I read fresh roe or roe sacks are the #1, or shrimp on a jig though more to intice a Sockeye? Thoughts on tackle?  THANKS!

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

I am going to try my luck on Friday. I usually start at peach, then move about.  I am new to summer on the Vedder, just fished winter steel in the past...never caught any. Can I use my steel tackle to target Nooks? IE: gooey Bob's, pink worms, Colorado blades, Croc spoons and red wool?  I read fresh roe or roe sacks are the #1, or shrimp on a jig though more to intice a Sockeye? Thoughts on tackle?  THANKS!

I've hooked 2 springs so far this summer and they were both on Roe. It's the best choice I think. Wool and spinners will work too. Pro cured shrimp has also worked for me in the past.

jackie

Fished from Bergman to above train bridge today (630-2). River is very low and clear with unlimited visibility, in many cases I could see schools of sockeye sitting in a lot of the runs. Saw 1 spring landed at Bergman a dime bright doe around 15 lb and a few others roll throughout the lower river. Still a lot of sockeye to keep you occupied throughout the day however but it's looking as if this years run is very very small.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard there are still no springs at the hatchery ? I found this surprising as we are well into the bulk of the run now and would've expected a few to have made it up there by now.

Archer

Fished from Bergman to above train bridge today (630-2). River is very low and clear with unlimited visibility, in many cases I could see schools of sockeye sitting in a lot of the runs. Saw 1 spring landed at Bergman a dime bright doe around 15 lb and a few others roll throughout the lower river. Still a lot of sockeye to keep you occupied throughout the day however but it's looking as if this years run is very very small.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard there are still no springs at the hatchery ? I found this surprising as we are well into the bulk of the run now and would've expected a few to have made it up there by now.

Thanks guys!

I'll post how my day went.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Go to the old limit hole, all stacked up in there.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Went there, couldn't find a rock.
Gotta change the name of that spot.....