Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: West coast spinning rod  (Read 6424 times)

KarateKick

West coast spinning rod
« on: November 10, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »

I have been looking at many catalogs to learn more about different variations of spinning rods, and have run into something new in the Shakespeare wild series:
http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/shakespeare-rods-spinning-rods/shakespeare-wild-series-rods-spinning/1365091.html

Each of the 9' ML and 10'6" UL rods comes in both a "spinning" model and a "west coast spinning" model.  The specs look the same (including the line rating) except the west coast version is rated for smaller lures.

Why are smaller lures better on the west coast?

standalone

Re: West coast spinning rod
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »

Do you really fish on river? fishing is not rocket science. go out on the river. know where fish is is much more important than what rod,lure,line,technique to use to catch them to me.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »

Wow, standalone, you are a dink! Part of any forum website is asking questions and helping others. I've been fishing for a while and know a thing or two, but I still use FWR quite often to bounce ideas off other users, get some opinions, or whatever. Just when I think I "know everything" I find someone who knows more and can teach me something. Anyway, you must be a hit at parties buddy. Moving on...

I clicked on the link and can not see where some spinning rods are labeled spinning and some are west coast spinning. Sorry.

What I will say is yes sometimes smaller lures are the key around here, especially when the water is low and clear in the late summer and early fall. The reason is a bigger lure (spoon or spinner), say 1/4 oz or whatever, is just way too big and flashy in the water. The fish, esp coho, will avoid it. However let's say you downsize to a pretty small lure, 3/16 or whatever. Often this smaller "presentation" is enough to grab the fish's attention, but not so much that it spooks/scares it. It's a balance between not going so small that the fish do not notice it, and not so big that it spooks them. Depending on the day, water clarity, how many anglers are casting in the water (more ppl casting = fish are more spooked), what species of fish are in the water (some more easily spooked than others) and perhaps some other variables will determine what lure size and color is the most effective. It's all about trial and error! Some days your choices suck and you catch nothing. Other days your choices are bang on, you're catching all the fish and everyone thinks you're "the man" (or "the woman.")

Lure choice and best rod choice are correlated. If you have too heavy/beefy of a rod, it is really hard to cast light lures any distance or feel their action in the water. But if you go too light yeah you can cast far, but the rod has no backbone and you will struggle to land your targeted species.

Any of the shakespear rods that are medium-light or medium and over 8 feet would be fine IMO.

I will add that, while it is tempting to get a super cheap rod online, after shipping you are probably not going to save a lot compared to going to your local tackle shop. Im not sure where you live but all the LM tackle shops will have budget friendly rods, reels, and so on. A Shimano Convergence or similar entry level spinning rod is only 70-90 bucks. And if you get the staff to help you, you KNOW that this rod is going to work well for what you're using it for. If you buy online it might work out or the rod might suck, then you are stuck with it and have to buy a new rod. Best to "buy once, cry once."

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:26:59 AM by Spawn Sack »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »

Agreed with Spawnsack go to a local shop, tell them your budget and have them help you.

That said I understand what standalone is getting at, I think you are overthinking things a bit.  Similar to your how to cast thread.  There is no substitute to getting good advice from a shop, and spending time on the water.

Matching lure weights with your rod is important, but you can find a jack of all trades spinning outfit that will suit you for a few years then become one of your back-up set ups when you really refine what works best for you, and fits the majority of the type of fishing time you spend on the water.

I look at it this way.  My "trout" set ups  work just fine for coho and pinks chucking spoons and spinners.  (My problem is I have about 10 of them, lol.)  7 feet, ML action that I use sloughs and estuaries.  Then I have a 9 foot spinning rod for throwing lures in faster water to help fight the fish in current.

Then I have a couple 10-11ft float fishing set ups  with casting rods and round casting reels.  When I go trolling on bigger lakes using downriggers, I switch those level wind reels and put them on my downrigger trolling rods ( I have specific rods when going trolling for larger bull trout or 9 ft UL kokanee specific rods.

You could get by doing almost all of the above with one 8-9ft M covergence paired with decent spinning reel as Spawnsack mentioned.

Rod has TONS of videos showing the set ups he uses.  Nothing will be used more than a basic medium spinning outfit.  Don't cheap out, but don't overspend.  Under $200 for a rood and reel spooled with premium line from a local shop will get you going in the right in the direction.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »

I raelly like how it handled,  but I broke two in a row in short order without being overly abusive so I switched to something a little sturdier.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »

I was fishing the Stave a few weeks ago. Buddy and I both brought out med-heavy trigger rods as some of the chum are BIG nasty creatures. We had a blast playing over 20 chum each in an afternoon of fishing. Just a bit up stream and down stream from us we saw 4, yes 4, rods snap in half. I can only imagine how many others snapped that we didn't see. Pretty funny watching someone with a 6ft trout rod trying to land a 15 pound angry chum.
Definitely pays  to do a little homework and make sure your gear can hold up to your targeted species.
All the more reason to go to your local tackle shop and talk to the staff. And by local tackle shop I do not mean crappy tire, Walmart, and so on. I'm talking Fred's, SeaRun, and so on.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 04:09:37 PM »

Just remind that I broke a wild serie rod easily. Go ugly stik and less worry

TimL

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »

Just remind that I broke a wild serie rod easily. Go ugly stik and less worry
Ya..totally agree with the ugly stik..They are durable yet affordable rods..I've had the 9' GX2 spinning (4-20 lb rated, lure rating 1/8-3/4 oz) for a few years now and it has served me well..I use it mainly for general saltwater, tidal fraser, and occasionally freshwater. I've landed everything with this rod from small trout and flounder up to pinks and cohos. I have not really tested it on chum (though I'm sure it can handle one)..my 10'6" trophy xl gets all the chum action and so far it has not broken on me yet (knock on wood  :-X).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:19:31 PM by TimL »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »

If it helps, Karakekick, here are my 2 go to spinning rod/reel, lure chucking set ups

#1. 9 foot Shimano convergence spinning rod. 3/8-3/4 lure rating. 8-12 line rating. Med-heavy power. Fast action. I use this rod more for moving water where I can let the current carry/swing the lure. I typically don't reel in until the lure is near shore parallel with me. This rod has power and can handle springs. However being on the beefy side it does not cast light lures well/far. And if you do use a light lure it is hard to feel its action. I use an inexpensive spinning reel on this rod spooled up with 20 lb Suffix 832 braid to a swivel, then 3 or so foot mono leader to the lure.

#2. 9 foot Shimano Clairus. 6-10 line rating. 1/4-1/2 lure rating. Med-light power. Moderate action. I fish this more in very slow moving/froggy water. I typically have to reel in the lure or else it will sit on bottom. It is great for coho and pinks but underpowered for chum and springs. But it casts light lures well and you can feel the action on light lures well. I use an inexpensive spinning reel spooled up with 12 lb Berkley XL (don't use XT, it is stiffer and better for leader line).

salmonrook

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »

If you live close to Langley , go to Army and Navy downtown, believe it or not they a good fishing and camping section at the back of the store .
I bought a good rod called Amundson with a reel , 9 Ft spinning rod heavy enough to pull in a spring but still light enough to cast a 1/4  croc spoon across the river , had it for 5 years and it has never let me down.I even broke the tip off and they replaced it for free !
 A good buy that has served me well. It was 89.00 total rod and reel .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »

Lure rating is just a recommendation... ;) As long as you are pretty close to that range you're good.

Um, go with Spawn Sack's recommendations. ;D

KarateKick

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »

Thank you so much everyone!

I started this thread mostly out of curiosity, because of the two different types of Shakespeare spinning rods.  For example, they had the "WSSP1062UL-W" as well as the "WSSP1062UL".  Their web site offered no explanation, but Walmart's web site called the W version the "west coast spinning" model.

I know it looks like I am over-analyzing equipment specs and casting techniques, but I actually do it for a reason.  The extended hospitalization of one child has made it difficult for us to do much fishing, but I've realized I can keep the kids motivated with a lot of reading and learning.  It makes them feel they are making progress even though we're gaining very little practical experience.

All the advice we receive here is very much appreciated.  When we get detailed information from guys like Spawn Sack and Damien, we read it over and over again, almost like a bedtime story.

We actually got a really nice rod as a gift from Geff a long time ago, but I keep looking for bargains because ownership makes the kids happy.  For me, fishing is not about the fish; it's about the kids.

Birkenhead

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 04:44:28 PM »

I started this thread mostly out of curiosity, because of the two different types of Shakespeare spinning rods.  For example, they had the "WSSP1062UL-W" as well as the "WSSP1062UL".  Their web site offered no explanation, but Walmart's web site called the W version the "west coast spinning" model.

I have 2 of these rods:  1x WSSP1062UL and 1x WSSP1062UL-W. The difference between these 2 rods are in the handles. The UL has a shorter but thicker handle. The UL-W has a longer and slimmer handle. You can see the differences here: http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/shakespeare-rods-spinning-rods/shakespeare-wild-series-rods-spinning/1365091.html#specifications.

I prefer the UL-W better - but that may be that the reel is more balanced for that this style of rod. Normally I don't use these rods as much as others, however I bought both on sale a couple of years ago for $27.00 each. For their price and intended use, there is nothing wrong with them as long as you consider and respect that although the rods are rated ML, they are really lightweight rated models. I have found them perfect for trout fishing and casting smaller gear as the rod tips are thin and springy. With a low price point, if you break a rod or it gets stolen, you are not out much money.

KarateKick

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »

Okay I see the difference. The UL model has the reel seat more than half way down the handle, like a centerpin rod. The UL-W model has the reel seat near the top of the handle, more like a spoon rod.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:02:51 AM by KarateKick »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »

I have had enough of the BS on this forum and will no longer participate here.

Welcome back, Birkenhead!