Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cowichan River Guided Fishing  (Read 4893 times)

The Rambling Fisherman

Cowichan River Guided Fishing
« on: January 18, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »

The Cowichan river is the jewel of Vancouver Island.   Gear fishing for winter Steelhead is legendary with the island's largest Steelhead and some of the best trout fly fishing in the world.  Some think that the fly fishing for trout is limited to the spring and summer, this is completely untrue!  Over the last few days on the Cowichan river we have been landing 20+ Rainbows, browns and Steelhead all on the swing.  Amazing fishing for those of you that are fly fishing enthusiasts.

I've been drifting the river everyday and the Steelheading has been great this year with lots of hook-ups daily and regular chances at large Steelhead. We've already landed couple of fish over 15lbs the last two weeks and the Steelheading hasn't even hit it's peak yet on the Cowichan!

- January thru April - I have days available for guided Steelheading on the Cowichan river. 

- March 15th thru May - is the best time for DRY FLY fishing on the Cowichan river, the mayfly hatch is huge and we end up having epic days of double digit fish coming up and taking your dry fly.  Book early to get the dates you want, I have many guests returning this spring that have already booked up many of the weekends during that 9 week period.

- May thru June - A great time to fish for Big Brown trout on the Cowichan river.

$350/day+hst for up to 2 anglers per boat, for a full days charter.

For more information call: 250-218-1087 or email: ramblingfisherman@gmail.com

Visit my website: www.ramblingfisherman.com
Check out my pictures on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ramblingfisherman

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ev7ItGXExU

The Rambling Fisherman

Re: Cowichan River Guided Fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »

Cowichan River Fishing Report:

The Steelhead have been huge so far this year with multiple fish over 15lbs caught and released. I’ve been on the river everyday and the water has been dropping steadily and the fish have been hiding in a lot of non-traditional spots. The lower water hasn’t really affected the catching but has made much of the river very fly fishable from shore and from the boat.

My fly anglers have been doing very well in the Upper Cowichan River for big Brown trout and Steelhead.   The Brown trout and the Steelhead seem to be hitting different flies, therefore its important to know which species to target and where.  Brown trout seem to always be hiding in the same places in the upper river and where you catch one, you will most likely be able to go back there and catch another.  Steelhead are little less predictable in the upper Cowichan where you have to fish many different pools and runs to get results.

My gear anglers in the lower river have been having a very consistent time with multiple hook-ups and some very large fish coming to the net.  The lures and artificials that really worked well earlier in the Steelhead season is not working a well as we approach February.  Be creative when tieing up your steelhead gear.

The outlook for February looks very good, if the rains finally arrive then expect spectacular fishing during the month.

I have limited days available in February for guided Steelheading on the cowichan river. I have 2 Sundays available and some weekdays open. February is typically the best Steelheading on the Cowichan. $350/day + hst for up to 2 anglers. Please book your day soon as February is a busy month for me!