Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower fraser barfishing October 5th, 2007  (Read 4054 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
Lower fraser barfishing October 5th, 2007
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:08:44 PM »

After hemming and hawing most of last night whether to fish the vedder and battle the crowds or go barfishing 5 min from home at the mouth of the coq for some coho,so as i couldn't decide it came down to a flip of a coin and barfishing it was,i fished for about 4 hours with a number of good hits but the only fish i was able to connect with were a few dollies,i fished the outgoing tide ,i didn't see much action as far as the chum schooling up  at the mouth, its should be boiling with them any time soon,there were 6 other fisherman and no love for them with coho or chum,i guess i might have to flip a coin for tomorrow,vedder,chehalis or allouette,hmm,anybody got a three sided coin. ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:18:25 PM by Rodney »
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

fishonsteelheader

Re: Lower fraser barfishing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 09:13:53 PM »

your not the only one I have not made my mind up  ??? do you know what the chehalis looks like
love to fish.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 09:20:11 PM »

A few of us barfished the lower river around Richmond today and the only action we got was from the bullheads, just trying to decide where tomorrows adventures will take us.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 09:20:49 PM »

This should be prime time for the mouth of the Coquitlam. I was thinking of trying the low tide when it was a more civilized hour and lower. Not this year I guess. May try tomorrow anyway :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 09:21:29 PM »

chehalis will probably be a little high,but it usually takes more rain than the vedder,even though it might be still a little early for good numbers of fish.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 09:28:30 PM »

The coquitlam should be seeing some coho start to come very shortly,i have also been fishing the coq farther up stream frequently and i have only hit  1 jack.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 12:08:09 AM »

I live at Poco and from my house I can see the Coquitlam River, but I have not fished at the mouth much except during the early years before they stopped barfishing to protect the Thompson coho. Back then, old timers did very well during September at the outgoing tide. I remember we used to stake our spot with the rod holder even when the water was high, and every body just moved further out when the water level dropped with the tide. There was a hole there and people could do really well there and back then there was no distinction of wild or hatchery coho. I wonder if there are many hatchery coho at the mouth now. The mouth of the Coquitlam is quite away from the main flow of the Fraser, and seems like only the Allouette coho may have hatchery ones. The Pitt River stock is all wild. I wonder if the Chehalis coho will travel away from the main stem of the  Fraser to rest at the mouth of the Coquitlam to offer some good fishing for hatchery coho. May have to try my luck there soon being so close to home.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »

Yes steelhawk you are right ,it used to be really good at the mouth ,i grew up fishing there and have seen the fishing go from what you and i remeber to not so good,but it seems in the last few years the fishing has been slowly getting better.but still nothing like it used to be.

river-rod dyl

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 11:48:28 AM »

from all of the rain today we are having, it looks like most of the rivers are going to be blown.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 12:23:35 PM »

Yes steelhawk you are right ,it used to be really good at the mouth ,i grew up fishing there and have seen the fishing go from what you and i remeber to not so good,but it seems in the last few years the fishing has been slowly getting better.but still nothing like it used to be.

I think this is partly due to the fact that all the hatchery rivers seem to have less coho stocking now, causing much reduced coho opportunity. The Cap used to be so loaded with coho that every incoming tide meant limits for fishermen, and in upper Cap, coho came through in waves with people lining up the rapids for them. The Vedder and Chehalis are having much less coho now. It was reported that the hatchery cut 600K coho smolt stocking at the Vedder. If some one thinks this is a good season for coho there, it is really nothing like 10-15 years before. I remember walking the upper river runs back then, and could see patches of bluish/greyish shades shifting in the curents and they are large coho schools holding in the run. Where are they now?

The other factor is probably due to the late timing of the opening to lower river bar fishing opportunity. People used to do well all through September in lower Fraser bars. With an October opening now, the main run of most rivers may have already gone passed the lower river, leaving only stragglers and small schools for bar fishers. Didn't the river remain close to bar fishing until Oct 15 a few years back? Gosh, most coho should clear the lower river by then.

Reduced fishing success for fishermen probably caused reduced interest in fishing (although the die-hards will persiist) for the public at large, and that may contribute to the ever decreasing sales of fishing licenses. I guess some of us wouldn't mind it at all, as often one delights in the fact that he is fishing a spot w/o another soul in sight.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 12:30:02 PM by Steelhawk »

redlad

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »

Picked up a small coho at the mouth of kanaka creek yesterday.  It was a 16 incher on a croc sppon.  Chum are very late in the Stave and Alouette.  Normally much larger numbers by now.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 08:14:45 PM »

Should come with me next time Andy.  Call me at the office.
President Club S. C. & P.

redlad

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 10:41:15 AM »

Shall do Merc.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 06:13:50 PM »

Fished the mouth of the Coquitlam (native for leaf spewing river) yesterday low tide. Got rained on fairly decent and may have had one bite(hard to tell with all the cabbage . :-\ ).

There are good fish and then there are ones that just plain bad. I think the fish around there are bad.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?