Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mini Rant...Why no nets when fishing the Vedder  (Read 4588 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Mini Rant...Why no nets when fishing the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 11:28:41 PM »

:D allright you ba$tards...So it's a look thing huh?....If that was true us trout guys wouldn't be so careful with them...but I'll grant you the tail it in the water is true too....My net is a catch and release one...no knots etc. It's the law in Washington...Mine is a moby, smaller version of the biffcan one...I have a thing that attach's to my wader belt and is a made out of knotless net material for tailing a fish. I've got no problem doing that..I just can't believe you can tell me that using a net causes more stress then not...Using one improperly yeah..but I can scoop a fish, inspect it and release it in the water a lot faster then guys I've seen on the beach running one up and down the shore looking to see if it's clipped or not....Guess I'm more used to it fly fishing on my own...

Rick, my buddy Carry's a gaff..commerical one...that C.P.G. has cost me more fish then I've caught.. :'( ....I gotta admit..I have a magnetic quick release on the back of my fly vest for it, so it's not a big deal...will be useless on springs...coho's and smaller jacks only...but they are the ones that tend to go into hyper drive so that's why I'm gonna still carry it....If you guys see me...don't laugh...might need to save a fish for you!!! ;)

Derek Mcl

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 10:17:49 AM »

I am of the view that using an appropriate sized net ensures that fish that you want to keep are more likely to end up in the cooler and fish that you want to release are released most quickly.  I have had fish swim circles around me when I've forgotten my net that I otherwise would have had in the net and gone long before finally getting my paws on the tail.  Also, I find most fish to be slippery suckers.  Many tails have squirted between my bare fingers regardless of the tightness of my grip.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »

Did anyone mention getting into the water with the fish and tailing it there instead of doing the backwards shuffle and dragging it up on the rocks or sticking it in a standard net and letting it thrash all its scales and slime off?  ;D

Unless fishing off a cliff as mentioned, you dont need a net. I never use a net and prefer to slide the fish into the shallows just until it flops over on its side and there I grab em, do a ID or what ever. Ask Rodney about this...think he watched me do it to a couple steelhead couple winters ago.  ;) ;) ;) Works well!! It's really easy, the fish dont get all banged up and I lose more fish during the first 30 seconds of hooking the fish than I do trying to beach it.

While exciting, I think one of the biggest problems people have when trying to beach a fish is getting too excited. Excited is good as you having a good time, but dont let that cause you to do the classic backwards shuffle that ends on the poor fish doing the rock and sand dance. On the other hand, dont get too eager and try to catch the fish in 2 feet of water either. It's just a fish, the fish deserves the respect of being treated well (even if slated for the table) and there are lots of methods to beach a fish with minimal harm or fuss.

Like CG, I dont need a net/tackle box to look like a beak. My Leaf hat, camo jacket/vest and duct taped waders do a magnificent job.  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?