Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Port Renfrew, June 29th 2011  (Read 1303 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Port Renfrew, June 29th 2011
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »

Took the wife and kids out to Renfrew hoping the seas would be family friendly and the fish gods would be on my side. To my surprise the waters were calm no fog am I really in Renny. 5 min after the lines were wet starboard rod shakes and my 4 year old is into a seabass while he is fighting this fish the port rod pops and starts screaming off line so I gladly take this rod and do battle with a 24 lb chinook and the wife nets the chrome bullet bonk and we re bait and wait. The two boys are excited to say the least the Chinook is as tall as my 2 year old and he is alittle afraid of this bullet. an hour goes by and no action and then the bite turned on it was non stop 6 to 8 lb Coho scrappy little guys who were jumping and running all over the surface.We then decided time to check our Crab traps but some one had beat us to our trap stole our bait andtossed our trap back so we re baited and waited 20 min re checked and 5 male keepers and a bunch of females which were released . A good day had by all The kids are hooked to say the least and what a feast when we got home smiles covered in butter love the west coast.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
Re: Port Renfrew, June 29th 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »

Gotta love it when the weather/fish gods are smiling, eh?

Sounds like a great day, man!  Ended up snagging a few crab for our crab bake yesterday, and couldn't agree more - butter, crab, brews and buddies is a fantastic way to spend an evening.

J
- John A.

noobfisher

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »

Took the wife and kids out to Renfrew hoping the seas would be family friendly and the fish gods would be on my side. To my surprise the waters were calm no fog am I really in Renny. 5 min after the lines were wet starboard rod shakes and my 4 year old is into a seabass while he is fighting this fish the port rod pops and starts screaming off line so I gladly take this rod and do battle with a 24 lb chinook and the wife nets the chrome bullet bonk and we re bait and wait. The two boys are excited to say the least the Chinook is as tall as my 2 year old and he is alittle afraid of this bullet. an hour goes by and no action and then the bite turned on it was non stop 6 to 8 lb Coho scrappy little guys who were jumping and running all over the surface.We then decided time to check our Crab traps but some one had beat us to our trap stole our bait andtossed our trap back so we re baited and waited 20 min re checked and 5 male keepers and a bunch of females which were released . A good day had by all The kids are hooked to say the least and what a feast when we got home smiles covered in butter love the west coast.

People actually lifted your crab trap out and stole them? ... that's brutal!   >:(

Nucks

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »

Happens all the time and has been going on since traps have been set.........unfortuntely  :(

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »

leave  a few big treble hooks points facing down on your line and they wont come back.

noobfisher

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »

leave  a few big treble hooks points facing down on your line and they wont come back.

;D haha I like your thinking  ;D

Dogbreath

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »

Port Renfrew is notorious for Crab thieves.