Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opinions wanted  (Read 11409 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Opinions wanted
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:58:24 PM »

Hmm I'd take a couple days off work to floss a $1000 setup.  Also, if being technical, it's illegal to leave a rod unattended.

zacrum

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 11:04:04 PM »

If the rod was line in water yes   of it a rod not in use   and line out of water  is it really  illegal ?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 11:13:55 PM »

If he was asked to move it, and choose not to move an expensive piece of kit out of harms way, then he understood the risks and he is responsible for the loss.  In the UK we have a term for people like this...Wanker.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 11:17:50 PM »

this man had had his rod lying there most of the day not paying attention or moving it when asked

hehe who the heck does this? leave a $1000 rig lying around unattended "most of the day"? I agree with the other posters, Move it, use it, or lose it.

Animal Chin

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:19:14 PM »

It's like they say in boxing, "protect yourself at all times". Ultimately, you're responsible for yourself and your stuff ... he was asked to move his rod. Given the scenario you presented the caster has no responsibility for the lost rod.

An apology would have been the civilized thing to do.

Regardless, even if the behavior of the parties were reversed, you're still responsible for your own rod. The only way I could see siding with the lost rod would have been if the caster was purposely trying to send it into the water.

zacrum

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 12:25:26 AM »

Thank you   glad to see I'm not alone on this    need less  to say   the guy didn't feel that way and started calling friends

Tylsie

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 12:32:36 AM »

Pretty much agree with everyone. He should of moved his rod. He chose to leave it in harms way and it was lost. His fault. Accidents happen. But how I wish that someone would of flossed it out and it was a walmart special.

zacrum

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 12:41:43 AM »

He claims it was worth 1 g   but from what I recall the reel was a penn 330 gt   and the rod was a magnum   total bill maybe 350   that's being generous

Zackattack

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 12:46:19 AM »

It was gold plated

243Pete

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 06:20:37 AM »

Sounds like a scam in the making, a Penn 330GT and some cheap rod claiming $1000 dollars?  :o Gold plated with 24carat wrapped guides?
Oh well, simple rule is that if you are unsure of something, best to just ask him/her to move their stuff anyways cause that can save a lot of headache.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 09:16:44 AM »

That must also have been one heck of a cast to launch that set up.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 09:28:40 AM »

Usually there are two sides to a story; sometimes three.
This sounds fishy. If he was told to get out of the way and didn't, I can see someone purposely snagging his rod to make a point.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »

On many occasions, while walking along a river shoreline, I have stepped on, nearly stepped on, or narrowly avoided stepping on a fishing rod that an angler has left lying on the ground while he attends to something else.

Unfortunately, a drab, thin, piece of graphite blends remarkable well into a rocky or sandy shore. Normally, when passing behind a group of anglers, I pay attention to what may be lying on the ground, but even when doing that I have almost crunched a rod or two.

I always try to lean my rod against something, jam the butt into the rocks, or even prop it up with my vest so it has a slightly more obvious profile. If I have to leave it on the ground I never turn my back to it. 

I feel little compunction, and no sense of obligation to pay him for damages if it happens. His carelessness, not mine.   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:22:40 PM by clarki »

zacrum

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »

I'm deffinatly not hating on surrey    as I grew up in surrey  and as far as the cast being on purpose   I doubt it    as all day that caster was doing great at saving his casts from the other rod owners   grandchild who was running around the dock causing havoc       a slip up  in casting is highly probable    I have a feeling like there needs to be signs up on densely  populated fishinh areas explaining to keep gear out of casting areas

doja

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 01:22:32 PM »

I had my rod stepped on one day...  Not for a second did I think it was anyone else fault but my own...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:05:55 PM by doja »